CURRENT MOON

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Garden

I spent part of today ordering seeds and plants for this summer. I get a boatload of garden catalogs, and I spend most of January just going through them, dreaming, changing my mind about what to grow, longing for one of each. Over time, I've learned that I'm better off buying enough of a few things rather than one of each. By early February, I have made some decisions, and I go through the catalogs again, folding over pages. Four or five companies are likely to sell something I want, and I fold over the pages in each catalog that has, for example, ruby thyme. Then, but late February (aka NOW), I get serious. I make a chart with the names of the plants i want down the side and the names of the catalogs across the top. Then, in the proper square, I fill in the price, whether its for seeds or live plants, etc. Finally, I order. For some reason, I like to do it by hand, on the order form. Maybe because I write checks, whereas on line or by phone I'd put it on a credit card and that would provide just a little bit less of a leash for me.

This year, I'm growing the standard herbs, although many of these will come back from last year: Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Woad, Mint (chocolate, peppermint, and spearmint), Sweet Woodruff, Wormwood, Nasturtium and Marigold, Lime Balm, Dill, Basil, and Rue.

I'll grow coleus, which I love, but which are annuals and, thus, expensive, around the tree in my front yard and, along w/ black elepahant ears (this year, I WILL be successful!) in containers near my driveway. I'll grow white foxglove and black hollyhocks (planted from last year's seed; they're biennials) in the front cottage garden along with deep purple Grandpa Ott's morning glories, white moonflowers, and white datura.

For my backyard woodland garden, I've indulged in some jack-in-the pulpit bulbs, absolutely gorgeous and very witchy, but quite dear. I'm hoping the bulbs will make more bulbs and, if I buy a few every year, in a few years, I'll have a lovely bed of them. I bought several kinds of violas, Bowles Black and Psychydelic Spring, which I planted once before and they didn't do too well, so this is their last chance!

I wanted to buy about a hundred lilly of the valley bulbs for the woodland garden, too, but decided I'd have to wait another year to afford those.

Lots of what's already planted will come back. I have two yellow daffodills about to pop and hundreds more just behind. I have black iris ready to go and pink peonies. I'm hoping the black calla lillies that I planted last year and got a few blooms from survived our draught last summer. I have astilibes (white) and day lillies (orange -- they were planted by the people who lived here before me), and tons of hosta, and some helibore I keep threatening to pull out but haven't yet since they come so early. There are a few stray crocus, from the people before me, and some black dianthus I planted in a container that I hope will bloom this year.

I'd have liked some ferns in the side yard, but will have to wait a year or two and, in a perfect world, I'd have liked a few more lilac bushes. But I have two and they're covered with hard little buds, and I can buy more blooms at the farmers' market, so I'll wait until after I tear the whole yard up in a few years and hire a landscaper.

What are you growing? What are you longing to grow? What have you given up on growing? I've been in love with gardening since I read The Secret Garden as a child. How did you fall in love with putting seeds in the earth?

10 comments:

Vicki said...

Oh! A garden post! I'm growing Delphinium, Painted Daisy, Penstemon, Obedient, Lupine, Shasta Daisy, Poppy, Peony, Baby's Breath, Forget-me-not, 2 Variations of Bleeding Heart, Black Eyed Susan, Echinacea, Dianthis, Maltese Cross, Turtlehead, Lots of Columbine, English Daisy, Geum, Several Types of Lily, Goat's Beard, Jupiter's Beard, Veronica, Victoria, Snow on the Mountain, Mum, Snap Dragon, Dahlia, Tulips, Aster, Patchouli, Several Herbs, Sun Flower, Cleome, Marigold...

There's more, I just can't think of it all now.

Love the fact that you're writing about your garden! I bought my digital camera to chronicle mine this year.

Anonymous said...

Lily of the valley is one of those plants you should never have to buy. Just ask around, someone you know is bound to have some. Gardeners love to share. A couple spadefuls of pips and in a season or two, you'll have your hundred!

rivw24

tws said...

i like this garden blog...


cheers!

Sandy-LA 90034 said...

I hope you will blog more on your garden. I LOVE the idea of gardening, but although I have a nice balcony, I have trouble following through on planting and maintaining plants. (A struggle with ADHD and staying focused on tasks). I admire so much your capacity to make your day dreams real.

I love that you are planting lots of herbs.

Just as I vicariously satisfy my love for cats through Four Legs Good's Maxx, NTodd's Sam and Jefferson Prestonian's Curly, I will be checking back to share your yearly gardening experience!

Hecate said...

Dear Sandy,

Maybe try starting small -- just one plant in a pot? Watering it is kind of a meditation in itself. And, once it starts to grow and flower, it's so rewarding.

Anonymous said...

Coleus are really easy to grow from cuttings. I've had the same plants going for years. I take cuttings of them, root them in water, put them in cells and plant them outside when they are big enough.

I love calendulas, Pacific Giants. Blue Point Zinnias too. And while we are talking dianthus, carnations.

For vegetables I suggest Perpetual Spinach (a chard), Oliver brussel sprouts (you almost can't tell that they aren't artichokes), and Early Jersy Wakefield cabbage.

Anonymous said...

Don't you have a friend with a lily of the valley patch? They're so easily rooted once you dig them up, and an established garden doesn't mind being thinned out. I've either had them or planted them outside each house in which we've lived, usually right below a window. Opening it on a warm, late spring day yields the most wonderful scent. They're my older daughter's favorite flower.

I had a beautiful wildflower garden in Ohio. *sigh* I mail ordered beautiful peonies for this house, gorgeous colors and fragrances. Bye bye to those.

Lime balm. Interesting. Lemon balm is aggressive. I assume it's the same for the former.

Hecate said...

Pie, lime balm is aggressive; it's one of the mints. You can take those peonies with you! I had a neighbor who'd moved peony tubers (?) from Illinois to Washington State to Virginia.

NYMary said...

Hecate,
This summer I won't be able to do much more than maintain the beds I have (veggies, strawberries, and 2 beds of perennials), but at least I got to pull and break up the bulbs and rhizomes in the fall. I love rich, purple flowers, so I have lots of iris and grape hyacinth, then I mix in baby's breath and pansies and morning glories to lighten it up. I also have dark purple tulips. Vita Sackville-West, Virginia Woolf's lover, had an all-white garden, which is kind of where I got the idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was out bloigging and found your site. It certainlhy got my attention and interest. I was looking for Shades information and even though this isn't a perfect match I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the read!