CURRENT MOON

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Is Nausea Enough?

It’s not very often that I agree with Jack Danforth. In fact, his name simply conjures up for me bad memories of the way Anita Hill was treated. But my brilliant friend Elizabeth pointed out this article to me in today’s WaPo and I’m glad to see Mr. Danforth saying what he says. I especially agree with him about the meanness that is, for me, at least, the predominant characteristic of today’s Evangelicals.

The article quotes Samuel Lloyd, dean of the National Cathedral, who says, ”My hope and my guess is that there is a fair amount of revulsion and that the moment is right for one or more candidates who want to appeal to a more generous spirit in the American people.” I think that’s what I’m trying to get at with my discussions of Galway Kinnell’s poem about St. Francis and the Sow. When the poet says, “though sometimes it is necessary
to reteach a thing its loveliness,
to put a hand on its brow
of the flower
and retell it in words and in touch
it is lovely
until it flowers again from within, of self-blessing,”

I think of America, which seems rather desperately in need of someone who can reteach it its loveliness, who can retell it in words and in touch that it is lovely, until it flowers again from within, of self-blessing.

Danforth says he’s “counting on nausea” to turn politics around. I’m not so sure that’s enough. I’m wondering a lot these days about the role of heroes and heroines. Do we need someone who can articulate for America what is good about it and remind it of its better nature? Or is it something that lots of smaller someones can do? And if so, how? Or is Danforth right and nausea alone will turn the tide?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danforth expected to become Sec. of State after Colin the Compromised left. Instead Bush elevated his remarkably incompetent and criminally neglegent family retainer to the post. I suspect that Danforth's subseqent activities have more than a bit of revenge mixed in. But, given his elevation of an old family retainer to the Supreme Court, you'd think that he could savor the irony of the situation.

I'm done with that jerk. I'll get the truth elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Fr Danforth was never my kind of priest (he wears a tie, for cryin' out loud!)

The hard right Repukes manage to get a solid 1/3

About 1/2 the people sort of agree with the Dems

Only 1/2 the people vote

That translates into a Repuke majority

The victorious scum crowing that Danforth's Repukes were losers because they were decent are correct -- as Vince Lombardi said, "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser!"

Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://hweundvq.com/busu/tltq.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://jfskpyxq.com/rcqt/bbgm.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://hweundvq.com/busu/tltq.html | http://aeovllgx.com/xxhw/lrwe.html