CURRENT MOON

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sacred Places in the Modern World -- The First in a Continuing Series

So, celebrating Imbolc this week, and continuing to ponder how we thrive in today's less-than-gentle world, I got to thinking about the sacred wells where the Goddess Brigit, whom we honor on Imbolc, was worshipped. When the xians conquered Ireland and Scotland, many of Brigit's sacred wells became the sites of xian churches, often dedicated to St. Brigid or to the Great Mother Mary. Most peoples have found places in the natural world that seemed to them especially blessed, places where we Wiccans say that the veil between this mundane world and that "other world" that we sense is out there is thinner than it is in other places.

You can find lamenting in the Pagan community, and, Goddess knows, much of it is valid, that our sacred places are disappearing, being paved over, turned into dumps, strip malls, office parks. You can also find mystics who show us that every place is sacred, that a plastic bag blowing through a city street can be a thing of immense beauty, an avatar of East/Wind/Swords. The simple truth is that many, if not most, Pagans today live in apartments in cities, not in small cottages, surronded by herb gardens at the foot of Stonehenge. I'd love to wander the fields like Mary Oliver, but almost 99 days out of 100, I drive to an office building in a big city and then back to a suburb, stopping at a large grocery store, or the dry cleaners, or the taqueria on the way back.

So, how do we thirive? What do we do when we need to be in a sacred space? Where do we go? What places in the modern world help us to remember that Earth is alive, we're part of a larger whole, our entire lives are shot through with connection and glory, and, emobodied consciousness that we are, with sensual delight?

I'm not a New Yorker, but my first Sacred Space in the Modern World is Central Park. Watch the video. Take a deep breath. Sacred Space: wherever you go, there you are.

6 comments:

Lizzy said...

Your post made me think of an extradorinarily beautiful short story, "Except the Queen," by Jane Yolen and Midori Snyder. I read it in an anthology, The Fair Folk, Marvin Kaye, ed., 2005...

Woody (Tokin Librul/Rogue Scholar/ Helluvafella!) said...

i wrote a story one time around the premise that 'beauty' is what is left behind by the fleeing of the sacred...
if ya want, i'll e-mail it to ya...

Hecate said...

lizzy, I'm going to look that up.

WGG, I'd love it if you'd email it to me.

cynicus, You are truly blessed.

Anonymous said...

Phyllis Curott wrote a book called Book of Shadows: A Modern Woman's Journey into Witchcraft and the Wisdom of the Goddess. I found some of it somewhat dubious, but one thing I loved, as a devout pagan and devout urbanite, was her experiences of the sacred and divine in NYC. I could relate much better than I could to Starhawk's The Earth Path, that to me, seemed to be saying: "If you don't live off the grid in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest like I do, you're not a real pagan." (nothing against Starhawk)

Anonymous said...

Try this on for size:

http://www.jhfarr.com/grack/9405.html

Anonymous said...

Hecate --

In the Rigante series by David Gemmell that I have recommended to you, there is a story of a youth who has the talent who is studying in the great city -- he can only unleash his gifts by going to the only remaining tree (everything has been paved over) and digging his fingers in the dirt. I really think you will like these books.