CURRENT MOON

Monday, April 24, 2006

People Who Should Have Had Bloggs


Anne Johnson suggested in comments that Aleister Crowley should have had his own blog. It certainly would have made for interesting reading. She also suggested that H.L. Mencken would have translated well to the blogsphere. It got me to thinking: who else would have made a good blogger, were it not for the vagaries of time and technology? And besides, I'd rather list good bloggers than play the latest game going round of listing my odd habits. I'm a witch; almost all my habits would seem odd! So, here, forthwith, is my list of people I wish had had a blog:

1. Oscar Wilde (just imagine the snark!)

2. Dorothy Parker (ditto)

3. Sappho (she could be catty when she wanted to!)

4. George Sand (she loved to write letters)

5. Jack Kerouac (imagine reading his daily posts while On the Road)

6. Carlos Castaneda (it would be fun to guess which posts were drug-induced)

7. Samuel Pepys (shrewd observations)

8. Walt Whitman (even though he'd talk about himself a lot)

9. Thomas Jefferson (he could have used the $$ from the google ads!)

10. Saul Alinsky (wish you were still here today, Saul, helping us figure out what to do about Fox)

So who's up to the challenge? I'm tagging NTodd, watertiger, four legs good, Vicky, Thers, NYMary, Katrina, and Echidne.

13 comments:

Vicki said...

I'll do it...I need to give my blog a good kick in the ass, anyway. It's sooooo easy to forget about it unless you're commited to it!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I vote for Byron--he could be simultaneously snarky and sublime.

Halfdan

ntodd said...

I will meet your challenge. I happen to be in the middle of a podcast, so that's where it's going!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....
Anthony Bourdain--very sardonic but enlightening at the same time

Emile Zola
Kate Chopin
Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Jane Austen

Anonymous said...

Ooop, Bourdain is alive (surprisingly).

ntodd said...

Posted!

Interrobang said...

Aphra Behn would have made a superb blogger.

Anne, Countess of Winchelsea, could have had a poetry blog.

Blogging would have been good for Mary Wolstonecraft Shelley, since it might have taught her to write with a bit more brevity.

Geoff Chaucer would have been the uber-blogger, and he and Geovanni Bocaccio could have team-blogged from Florence in between glasses of wine.

Chaim Potok would have made an excellent blogger, much like the Hasidic Rebel. (I think that wonderful cadence comes from knowing Hebrew). He could team-blog with Isaac Bashevis Singer, assuming that they didn't fight all the time.

I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned Ernest Hemingway. He might almost be readable in blog form...

(Two degrees in English, can you tell? *grin*

Anne Johnson said...

I forgot Groucho Marx. Can you imagine reading him every day? No one would need Prozac.

Anonymous said...

I.F. Stone, because we need him now more than ever.

Robert Graves

Lady Murasaki

Julius Caesar (he worked on multiple books at once, so he might have had multi-blogs)

Eleanor of Aquitaine. She would have formed an excellent community blog, and it would have been Henry who ended up in that castle instead. :)

Anonymous said...

I would say that Carl Sagan would have made a GREAT blogger. He knew a little about alot of things.


/smalfish

Anonymous said...

Oscar Levant.

Eleanor Roosevelt.

And Duke Ellington.
-

Anonymous said...

I would read Voltaire's blog.

I think an Allen Ginsburg blog would be interestng as well.

Oh, and a Jay Ward blog. No better yet, Bullwinkle.

And Upton Sinclaire.

Olaf glad and big said...

i would check henry miller's blog every day.