CURRENT MOON

Thursday, May 18, 2006

DaVinci Would Be Amazed


Via Witchvox, here's a very good editorial from the Portsmouth Herlad concerning the snit some xians have managed to work themselves into concerning the upcoming movie version of the DaVinci Code, a book that was really nothing more than a moderately entertaining potboiler mystery.

The editorial notes that, "Various Christian organizations have planned protests at theaters that will begin showing the movie, which is based on a book written by Rye Beach resident Dan Brown, tomorrow night." After noting that the DaVinci Code may, in fact, spur some people to investigate religious ideas, the editorial concludes, "However, many of these leaders are so outraged that such a book could be published, much less made into a movie for mass consumption, that they are missing the educational opportunities inherent in the discussion.

They are using words like 'heresy and 'blasphemy' - those ancient calls to arms that struck fear into Christians during the dark days of the Inquisition and witch trials, to limit the number of followers who will even consider reading or seeing what Brown has to say.

But these are not the Dark Ages. The light of intellectual inquiry burns bright and for the truly religious, whatever is revealed by that light will not detract from the beacon of faith that lies in their hearts.

It is only the irrational actions of self-protective church leaders who profess to be the only ones capable of seeing truth that can dim that beacon."

I think that's about right. I'll just add that the ONLY thing that could induce me to go see the movie would be the chance to piss off some fundi whack-jobs who think that they get to tell the rest of us what we can and can't read, watch, discuss, etc.

9 comments:

Rmj said...

It's fascinating. This book has been out for 2 years now, or better, and only recently gone into paperback (Harry Potter did the same thing; it was so popular at first there was no reason to publish a cheaper edition. Why offer compacts when people are still buying the luxury car?)

It has aroused no undue interest, except among booksellers trying to keep it in stock, and those who value literacy, trying to figure out what's wrong with people (I've read enough from this book to know I never want to bother with it).

Now the movie comes out, and the world is coming to an end? Why is this? James Bond in the novels gets more seriously wounded, and beds more women, than in any one of the movies, yet the movies get the attention. Same here. I've been told the novel is almost expressly anti-Roman Catholic, and yet the French actress is quoted as saying it doesn't insult her nation's religion, and isn't even a religious movie.

What is is about movies?

Hecate said...

rjm,

Beats me why this is getting so much attention. I can only surmise that the fact that it is somewhat critical of Opus Dei and the Vatican gives those who want it a hook to grab onto and cry about being persecuted. Of course, by protesting the movie, they get it more publicity and send more people off to see it.

Anonymous said...

My mom, a southern baptist, states that this movie will corrupt people as it is not the word of God and falsifies the bible.
Apparently those of weak faith will ditch the bibles teachings and blindly follow this movie, according to her.
I have made no attempt to argue with her as I try to respect her beliefs, but when it comes to the bible it is all cut/dry with her. Even though there is a good portion of Jesus's life that is MIA in the bible, Mom and her fellow followers do not belive in anyway that he was involved with any woman and there was no mystery to his life.
I am just amazed as to how this (as a work of fiction according to Amazon as I have not read it) could be so disturbing to some.
I say I am amazed but maybe I'm not. The home I grew up in, you do not question the word of God, you accept it with no questions asked.
I was enrolled in a religious school during a portion of my life and reading the bible was required.
I had to many questions to be convinced that the christian religion was right for me.
I was never one to goose step.

Anonymous said...

This brings back memories,, anyone remember,' The Last Temptation of J.C.'? Written by the same author who penned 'Zorba'. Beautiful book.

Authoritarians Everywhere get pissed off when someone tries to get in on their game,, this one being the Religion Business.

I remember well also the playwright
who said, "the leader has no head".

Anonymous said...

I personally found the book to be boring. The plot obvious, the characters two dimensional, and the premise silly to the extreme. Of course I usually read stuff that is reality based, like books on infectious diseases and the like (really scary stuff) so a book about a supposed cult within a cult sort of pales in comparison.
The book actually read like it was written to be made into a movie, sort of like reading the paper back spawned from the movie Gladiator.
What I'd like to know it, where were all these hand wringers when the stupid thing was topping the best seller lists a few years ago. Why all the fuss now? Maybe it's because Forrest Gump, er Tom Hanks, is starring in it and seems, with his involvement, to give the whole pile of crap a stamp of respect.
I won't be bothering to go see it in a theater, the Bush boom has left my house with 50% less income than last year, but I may rent it from the local Blockbuster... that is if the xtians in my town let them have any.
G in INdiana

Anne Johnson said...

Today my local newspaper ran an editorial by an Opus Dei member who tried to make himself sound like a righteous dude. Then he lobbed a brick at "secularists" and "pagans." Okay, pal, your agenda's clear: Make the world Roman Catholic.

The only thing I liked about The Da Vinci Code was how it painted Opus Dei as a bunch of wacko killers. I think he's right on the money there. Otherwise it was almost as good for laughs as Bridges of Madison County and Valley of the Dolls.

olvlzl said...

Someone called it "Grisham's Law" bad writing drives out good.

I looked at it, I don't waste time on bad writing.

The most interesting thing is how upset they're getting because it depicts Jesus as a married heterosexual. You would think there was something wrong with that. I don't think it was true but it doesn't matter one bit. None of it will change anyone for the better or the worse. It is a non-event in so far as feeding people, clothing people, etc.

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a valley of the dolls author site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a venta playstation 2
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!