CURRENT MOON

Monday, October 16, 2006

Oh, I Cry. Oh.


Every day is a god, each day is a god, and holiness holds forth in time. I worship each god. I praise each day splintered down, splintered down and wrapped in time like a husk, a husk of many colors spreading, at dawn fast over the mountains split.

I wake in a god. I wake in arms holding my quilt, holding me as best they can inside my quilt.

Someone is kissing me -- already. I wake, I cry, "Oh," I rise from the pillow. Why should I open my eyes?

I open my eyes. The god lifts from the water. His head fills the bay. He is Puget Sound, the Pacific; his breast rises from pastures. His fingers are firs; islands slide wet down his shoulders. Islands slip blue from his shoulders and glide over the water, the empty, lighted water like a stage.

Today's god rises, his long eyes flecked in clouds. He flings his arms, spreading colors; he arches, cupping sky in his belly; he vaults, vaulting and spread, holding all and spread on me like skin . . . .

The day is real . . . .

The day is real . . . . I stand and smooth the quilt.

"Oh," I cry. "Oh."

From Holy the Firm by Annie Dillard, pub. in Changing Light, ed. by Ruth Gendler

No comments: