CURRENT MOON

Sunday, January 21, 2007

How Magic Works


The more complex a structure, the more energy it must dissipate to maintain all that complexity. This flux of energy makes the system highly unstable, subject to internal fluctuations -- and sudden change. If these fluctuations or perturbations reach a critical size, they are amplified by the system's many connections and can drive the system into a new state -- even more ordered, coherent, and connected. The new state occurs as a sudden shift.

from Brain/Mind Bulletin, May 21, 1979, as quuoted in The Possible Human by Jean Houston

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a wonderful series of books developing about elfs, magic and the city of Pittsburg by Wen Spencer. In it a elf muses on his wife's human naive belief in magic and its ease and randomness. They were talking about wishing on a star. When I first took up Magic I believed all that was needed was a spell. I really rarely do magic now it is time consuming in preparation. Most going on before doing the actual ritual. I find morning prayer and daily rituals to the Goddess take up enough time on the days when I make myself do it.