CURRENT MOON

Friday, May 25, 2007

Vagina Sonnet


Is 'vagina' suitable for use
in a sonnet? I don't suppose so.
A famous poet told me, 'Vagina's ugly.'
Meaning, of course, the sound of it. In poems.
Meanwhile he inserts his penis frequently
into his verse, calling it, seriously, 'My
Penis'. It is short, I know, and dignified.
I mean of course the sound of it. In poems.
This whole thing is unfortunate, but petty,
like my hangup concerning English Dept memos
headed 'Mr/Mrs/Miss' - only a fishbone
In the throat of the revolution -
a waste of brains - to be concerned about
this minor issue of my cunt's good name.
- Joan Larkin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My girls use the vagina word quite freely. Of course, someone told me that what they're really referring to is the vulva. Nevertheless, it's "my vagina" this and "my vagina" that. So much so that I recently had to tell them that some grown-ups are afraid of the word!