CURRENT MOON

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

We Carried These Loosely-Woven, Rectangular Bags With Bi-Colored, Braided Sholder Straps And They Perfectly Accommodated Buttons


Somewhere, there's a picture of me, at 13 or 14, at my second protest march. I went w/ my dad and my sister, Lorraine, to protest the Viet Nam war. I had granny glasses, my hair pulled back into a loose ponytail, an Irish fisherman's sweater, and a wooden peace sign on a leather thong around my neck. I'm carrying one of those rectangular, woven bags that we all carried that year, with horoscope signs woven into the fabric, and long shoulder straps. I wish, tonight, that I could find it, for auld lang syne.

Today, I'm 51, a grandmother, a priestess, a lawyer, an ecofeminist, a witch, and a blogger, and I cabbed alone from my law firm over to demonstrate against this latest war. I wore an Hermes scarf and carried Michael Kors. I stopped at Capitol Grille on my way home and had oysters and a martini in honor of my dad, who taught me to exercise my right to "peacefully assemble."

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I was one of a thousand folks who showed up at the behest of MoveOn and VoteVets to support the Dems as they forced the Republicans to fillibuster an attempt to end the Iraq war. Yeah, it's gotten way more kabuki since I was a babe with a wooden peace sign.

I remember a third march against the Viet Nam war that I went to with my dad. That one, I think, was on the west (water, emotion, intuition, change, liminal spaces) side of the Capitol. Things had gotten more tense. There were policemen way up above us, with guns, walking back and forth. My dad pointed them out to me and told me not to forget this moment, when my own government turned its guns on me, when the government of Richard Nixon wanted to intimidate me. It was a seminal moment in my young life. My dad was granting me adult status, in a weird way. He wasn't convinced that they weren't going to open fire on us. And he was allowing me to stay there with him; he wasn't insisting that we leave right then. He knew, and I knew, that ending the Viet Nam war was the second most important work of my generation. He knew, and I knew, that if the war didn't end within a few months, my brother, Joe, was going to have to go to Canada. He knew, and I knew, that there are times when it's more important to remind them that we are many, they are few, than it is to protect yourself. I'm grateful for the lesson.

I thought of that night this evening.

With about a thousand others, I went to the east side (air, communication, thought, new beginnings, swords) of the Capitol. It was dark, and that gorgeous wedding cake of a building was illuminated. The statue on top was encased in wire. I invoked Hecate, Goddess of liminal spaces, to inhabit it. May this be a time of change, a time of new paths on the crossroads.

This time, the Capitol police made us all move off of the concrete onto the grass so that they could "perform security." The MoveOn organizers asked us to cooperate with them, to move away and let them bring in the drug-sniffing, bomb-sniffing, people-intimidating dogs. One of the Capitol policemen brought his dog over to sniff me and my Hermes scarf. I looked into his eyes and said, "Son. I'm a gradmother. I have a boy your age. Do I look like a terrorist?" He had the decency to blush and to say, "Sorry, Mam. Orders." Finally, the theatre was over and they let us resume our positions. (I use those words advisedly.)

The nice people from MoveOn and VoteVets must have sensed something, because they started in right away asking us not to hold our signs too high, not to block the path of the generator-powered kleig lights, to be very, very respectful. It's so different now from the sixties. People find each other with cell phones and blackberries. They take pictures with their cell phones and call thieir friends: "Do you hear that? I'm at a demonstration." The nice man walking around handing out information about a roundtable on impeachment gives you a computer disk instead of a mimeographed flyer. The speaker from VoteVets says, "I was too young to remember Viet Nam. I trusted my leaders." Fuck you, Sonny. Fuck you. Those who don't learn any history are condemended to repeat it. You think you're the first human with a penis to come home from a war and go "Fuck. They lied to me"????? Hint: You're not.

I digress.

Before Reid and Pelosi and Shumer and all the other Dems showed up, people were yelling "Impeach!" and "Bring the troops home NOW! Action, not talk." Reid stepped up to the podium and said, "Friends, give me your attention." A woman yelled out, "No. You give us your attention. Impeach!" Reid had to pause a moment and reorient himself. For the rest of the night, calls for impeachment continued to ring out. Pelosi had a difficult time delivering her remarks. The Senators and Congresscritters were obviously nonplussed. They'd shown up for a pep rally, expecting to be cheered. Every time that they said that Bush led the country to war based on lies, someone would yell out that they shouldn't have authorized the use of force in the first place. Every time that they complained about how we needed to be unified, someone would yell out that they needed to quit caving to the Republicans. Everytime that they mentioned how much Bush's war is costing, someone would yell out, "Quit funding the war!" Pelosi said that the problem with sending the bill to Bush over and over and over again (she's obviously heard the suggestion) was that the Repukes keep using parlimentary procedures to prevent that.

I've been -- on my own, with friends, with my brilliant Son and heroic D-i-L -- to lots of demonstratios since the ones that I went to with my dad. I've never been to a demonstration where we talked back like this. And, in the end, I thnk it was a good thing. MoveOn and VoteVets won't like it. The establishement Dems will be far less willing to show up for them since they can no longer deliver nice, supportive crowds. But I think that the Dems need to understand, as Carl Levin acknowledged, that the people are way out ahead of Congress and that Congress needs to hustle to keep up. We want an end to the Dems acting undisciplined. Don't tell me that you need nine Republicans when you can't get Liberman and Mary Landrieu and other Democrats to vote as they should. We want an end to this illegal, immoral war. If these Dems can't do it, the netroots can fund and elect, as Atrios says, more and better Dems.

Boxer got it. She said, "You've got a lot that you want to say, and I want to hear it." Mikulski got it. She said, "Tonight, we're voting to end the war. You know, and I know, that there are other votes that we need to have." John Lewis got it. Mendez got it. Barbara Lee got it. There were a lot of Dems who got it.

But there was a sea change tonight. Tonight was the night that the base spoke back. Tonight was a different kind of demonstration. I couldn't help but think that tonight was the night that the blogs stirred the pot. People in the crowd said, "Yeah, they'e been building permanent bases. The Dems aren't doing anything about that." They said, "We should never have picked 'I hate women's rights' Reid." They said, "Wake up, Pelois!" They said, "It's not enough to just stand there, Webb!" They said, "Here comes Fox News, Schumer."

Doods. We are in ur base, stirring up ur peeps. I am just saying.

Here's an early am toast to my dad. Fathers, take your daughters to a protest.

18 comments:

Sandy-LA 90034 said...

Thank you, Hecate! For a beautiful post and for being there. Thank you for adding your strong voice to those who are protesting what's all wrong about the Bush Administration.

Anonymous said...

Before Reid and Pelosi and Shumer and all the other Dems showed up, people were yelling "Impeach!" and "Bring the troops home NOW! Action, not talk." Reid stepped up to the podium and said, "Friends, give me your attention." A woman yelled out, "No. You give us your attention. Impeach!" Reid had to pause a moment and reorient himself. For the rest of the night, calls for impeachment continued to ring out. Pelosi had a difficult time delivering her remarks.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! To you, Hecate, and everyone else who went out in the night to make their voices heard. IMPEACH! IMPEACH! IMPEACH! Jesus, I can't believe it's taken this long to get the message across.

Anonymous said...

One other thing: you credit the blogs with having an effect. In fact, I think your report undermines the premise. If we were really effective, if the Democrats had really been paying attention to us all along, Reid wouldn't have been surprised.

What makes a difference is REAL PEOPLE YELLING IN THEIR FACES! I've said all along that half a million people occupying the Capitol grounds would get some attention. I deeply resent the blogs for dwelling so long on their own alleged high holy effectiveness and bleeding off political energy. Now, if the blogosphere could get off its collective self-righteous tush to generate some real action, that might be a different story.

Fathers, take your daughters to a protest indeed, if there only IS a protest...

I'm also not inclined to label anything a "sea change," either. Wait and see if Reid and Pelosi react by scurrying back to their comfy holes instead of providing more opportunities to get yelled at.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being there and for telling us about it. I am across the country in another Washington....but my mind keeps chanting "Impeach...impeach...throw the liars out!"

chicago dyke said...

great report, hec. i'm posting that.

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A TREASURE HECATE....MUCHO THANKS AND PRAISE HEAPED UPON YOU...WE THE PEOPLE MUST SHOW THE WAY
sittenpretty(creamsickle)

Anonymous said...

Lordy lordy
the witchery in the crowd last night!!

Anonymous said...

-mwah!-

Anonymous said...

The Ghosts of DC stir when protest is voiced. America was built on protest.
-Mr.M

Anonymous said...

Terrific. Thank you. The internet and blogs can unify, but there isn't anything like having misguided leaders see people in the streets. They need to be shouted at, over and over, if that's what it takes to make them listen and act on our behalf. There are times when civility equals acquiescence and surrender.

Jay in Albuquerque

Anonymous said...

bravo, thank you for being there. i'm so sad frustrated .this makes me feel a little better. we need to shut this shit down. thank you.

mestizO

Anonymous said...

I'm so very glad to hear the demonstration got out of the nice and polite, listen to our leaders mode. No, those "leaders" work for us - we elect them, we pay them, and the Constitution says they represent us.

I think I understand where the MoveOn and VoteVets leaders were coming from, but that much urging to cooperate is a bit scary. Police state, anyone?

Anonymous said...

IO'm so glad you went there, Hecate--and I am so glad people told the "leaders" that no, they're not going to just take it any more.

I'm embarrassed that it was a few (couple?) weeks ago that I learned that all those bills which had passed both the House and Senate have been effectively filibustered by the Republicans. And our vaunted free press has not told the people about that! How dare they do that?

But, why hadn't out "leaders" been mentioning this every opportunity they had when Dems appeared on the MCM??? They must help the people understand--and the press will help the Repugs, but very seldom help the Dems.

Thank you for going and playing the Grandmother Card. Woohoo!
jawbone

madamab said...

Great job, and extremely inspirational post!!!

I feel the ground beginning to shift. The Democrats don't hear the people's voice as often as they should. They have to spend far too much time gathering money for their next election run. But they're starting to get that we're here, we're informed and we want action. And we ARE the majority!

From now on, I feel they will step up the pressure in ever more effective ways, like they did last night. We will NOT stay in Iraq so the mess can be blamed on the next president. We WILL bring our soldiers home.

Goddess make it so.

dave™© said...

You're such a purity troll!

(Orange Satan made me say that...)

Anonymous said...

Hecate, your writing is as strong and as beautiful as your spirit.

I never realized we shared a birthday, and so does Nelson Mandela and John Glenn.

A year of health and joy and courage to you.

Red

Anonymous said...

ha those good ol'sixties..you had surley a great time! ..nam,manson,hendrix,beatles, stones...life was was worth living then...

Anonymous said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,情色文學,SEX,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,AV,成人論壇

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

A片,aio,av女優,av,av片,aio交友愛情館,ut聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080聊天室,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,情色視訊,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,視訊,免費視訊,美女交友,成人交友,聊天室交友,微風論壇,微風成人,sex,成人,情色,情色貼圖,色情,微風,聊天室尋夢園,交友,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊辣妹,一夜情