CURRENT MOON

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Maleficent


I am so there.

[T]he wickedest witch of all is coming back in a big way. And we don't just mean her penchant for supersizing. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tim Burton is finally giving "Sleeping Beauty" baddie Maleficent the spin-off that's been in the works for a long time.

Oddly it is the success of another Disney enchantress -- The Red Queen -- in Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" that finally got the film some traction. "Alice" screenwriter Linda Woolverton was just hired to pen a script that would take a "Wicked"-like look at what gave Maleficent such a nagging need to always snag an invite to the King's parties. "Carrie"-like prom, perhaps?

Growing up I actually had nightmares about her. In fact, my most enduring memory involves seeing Maleficent's face in a giant mirror as the pool I was swimming in turned red and began to boil. So needless to say, I'm shaking in my jammies about how dark this version will be.

If "Maleficent" is successful (which it will be, let's face it), more bewitching origin tales could start bubbling up. The one I want to see is, "Ursula: How A Poor, Unfortunate Soul Rose To Power!"


Maybe that one can explain why male power (the mermaid's father, quite the unreasonable tyrant) is always legit, while female power is always evil.

Picture found here.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I remember as a little child, actually identifying with Maleficent. She didn't get invited to the parties with the cool kids, or look and act like the diminutive nice fairies or pretty princess.

Needless to say I was *so mad* when the Ken Doll of a prince managed to slay her dragon form by throwing a sword. Even as a little kid I cried foul.

Definitely looking forward to this flick!

Lavanah said...

Interesting. I, too, loved Maleficent as a small child.

Persephone said...

I wanted to be able to change into a dragon. Still do.