CURRENT MOON

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hecate


When I read Tarot, I'm a big believer in paying attention to the card that "jumps out." You know, the card that somehow, improbably, falls off the top of the deck after the Querant has carefully cut the deck and dealt the required cards. The card that sticks to the bottom of another card and only shows up when you begin to turn the cards over to read them. That card. Heck, if there's a clearer way for the Universe to say: "OK, now pay attention," I don't know exactly what it is. (Well, I do, but I don't know any other way for the Universe to say this that doesn't generally involve pain, loss, a kick in the pants.)

So, when a book falls off of one of my bookshelves, all unasked, I pay attention to that, as well. It's tricky for books to fall off of my bookshelves, which have glass doors that, you know, tend to prevent "falling off." But when I open a bookshelf to get one book, and another "jumps out," I pay attention. Now, one of the earliest, truest, and most important magics that I ever did, all unknowing, as a young pentacostal catholic who would have been horrified at the term bibliomancy, was to open a book, read the top of the page, and take it to heart. To womb. To life. And that has made all the difference.

I'm not as young as I was, not all all pentacostal or catholic, nor am I at all horrified by any form of divination that does not involve live sacrifice. But I'm still often amazed at what bibliomancy can teach me. Ellen Cannon Reed's The Heart of Wicca, which I haven't opened or thought of in years, hopped merrily off of my bookshelf and onto my floor, open to the section where Ellen discusses the importance to her practice of relationship with divinity, particularly in its more personal and specific forms, and sent me an important message.

And I intend to pay attention.

Hecate, Guardian of the Crossroads

Lend me your dagger to cut away the unnecessary to find my true power
Lend me your rope to hold fast to that which I still need
Lend me your torch to illuminate the shadows
Gift me with the sacred key to unlock the mysteries of life
Show me my choices and give me the insight and strength
to always choose the right path


To which particular deity do you pay attention? Why? What have you lately heard?

Picture found here.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post and I'm on the same wavelength as far as things jumping out at me.

My bfff uses the book technique as well, she refers to it as stichomancy. I've used it a couple of times, but my cards are usually my go to.

WolfsGotYourTongue said...

I love this!! Yes, I too pay attention to things flying around.. and lately Kali has made herself known through random conversation with four different friends.

I love Kali, and am excited.. but I think also a little apprehensive: to have darkness ripped out is both terrifying and compassionate.

Also, one of my favorites is Google-mancy.. googling a phrase and paying attention to what shows up :)

Alyss said...

I think coming across this blog is a bit of that for me... the message of paying attention to the personal, individual aspect of the divine is a path I am feeling the call to explore. I spent a bunch of time between Christmas and Easter exploring my relationship with Christianity and am ready to get back to Mother-God :)

Hestia keeps calling my name, but I'm not sure about our relationship yet. Flora is also making her presence known, but it could just be the season :)

Google-mancy is going to be my word of the day! Awesome.

donna said...

Huh. I pulled up this quote today:

The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.

Hans Hoffman

The universe is trying to tell us something, indeed!

donna said...

Oh, and my God who is constantly informing me is Loki, Coyote, or whatever trickster god or goddess is lurking around. ;^) Every time I think I have it all figured out, I get a surprise...

Teacats said...

Usually random (or not!) songs on the radio or You Tube call out to me ....

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

who said...

Hi Hecate,
It's dusty, I like reading your posts and just wanted to thank you for seeing the humor in my previous comment.

It was definitely socially deviant for a first comment and to introduce myself without giving enough thought about how my attitude might be taken. Irresponsible of me because I have upset others in the past cause there are many persons who would be offended with my foul language.

I really don't want to hurt peoples feelings and if I introduce myself like that more times somebody is bound to take offense. So I wanted to say I hope you know I meant no harm. I just get excited sometimes with I need to put on hold until more of a dialogue is established and I get an understanding of the individual's boundaries.

Causes if I really do not wish to harm, I need to recognize that behavior is not acceptable.

are you comfortable with me reading and sometimes commenting within your personal boundaries?

Shehuntstoo said...

Had to smile because this jumped out at me. I turn to Hecate whern I need help and also when I am grateful. Thanks so much for this post.

Marya said...

Right now I'm drawing inspiration from Seshat and trying to decipher messages --

Anonymous said...

I too use that method of paying attention and not just with cards and books although those are the places it shows up the most.

And Hekate (I use the Greek K) is the deity that is foremost in my life. She and I have trudged many a dark road together and will continue to do so.

Thanks for this, it was most appropriate for today.

WolfsGotYourTongue said...

another thought on this, and to add to teacats comment, I have also noticed that I will get a craving for a particular song and have to play it over and over; this usually turns out to be a divinitory sign: the song lyrics tell me what is going on.
then when the lesson has passed, or I am done with the situation, I will be done with the song, like an overdose, it just won't appeal to me anymore.

Anonymous said...

How perfect to find this post on the night when I am offering barley and a reading of the Homeric Hymn to Her....
Thank you for sharing that lovely and well crafted prayer!

Peace,
Pax