CURRENT MOON

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I Was Afraid of This

I put off starting a blog for a long time because I was worried I wouldn't have time to "do it right." I honestly don't know how the folks who run big blogs do it -- it's a 24/7 occupation. And, for the last four or five days, my job has been keeping me too busy to write what I'd like to write here at Hecate.

To wit: I'd like to research and write a post about buying stock in Diebold and showing up at shareholder meetings arguing that management's practice of cooperating with Republicans and selling unverifiable voting machines is opening the company up to huge suits and legal repercussions.

My friend Elizabeth sent me a fascinating e-mail about Bush's statement that Arab tv misrepresents Americans and I've been meaning to do a post on that as well.

Hopefully, things will slow down later this week. But meanwhile, I'm thinking again about the role of fear in our lives. Fear of not being able to "do it right" often keeps me from starting new things. That can be good, but it has its downside, as well. How afraid of being over-committed are you?

3 comments:

geor3ge said...

I started a blog expecting to work out my thoughts on life, the universe, and everything. Then the business of life got in the way of writing about it, and now I primarily use it to excise silly, random thoughts. I envy the people who make a real craft of blogging.

Anonymous said...

Afraid, hell, I am overcommitted. I say yes to what's important to me and just try to keep my head above water! I manage to do that almost all the time, and fortunately, I'm surrounded by great people I can depend on to pick up the slack in most areas of my life on those occasions when I just can't seem to keep up.

gym said...

I agree with your post and the two comments ahead of me. I feel I have so much inside of me that I want to say. But to say it right and actually express what I am really thinking takes time. More time than I can find between work, kids, running, .... hell, just life in general.

I like what I have read so far in your blog. Keep up the good work!