CURRENT MOON

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I'm Rooting for the Cedars

I used to work for a narcissist. She was a monster. Everyone who worked for her, and I mean everyone, hated her and hated working for her. I don’t call her a narcissist lightly; she’d been diagnosed as a narcissist by one of the best Jungian analysts I know. Everything, and I mean everything, was all about her. You’d go in to talk to her about an issue in your department and spend an hour listening to stories about her ski trip; then she’d be late for her next appointment and you’d never get to discuss the issue you came in to discuss. Since working for her (I left that job and, a year or so later, she was fired, thank the Goddess), I think I can recognize a narcissist when I see one. (Insert obligatory skyatrist/tv joke.) George Bush strikes me as a world-class narcissist.

He gave us another example just this weekend:
After meeting with wounded personnel at Brooke Army Medical Center, Bush joked about what he termed his own injury in combat — from an encounter with a tree on his Crawford ranch.
"As you can possibly see, I have an injury myself -- not here at the hospital, but in combat with a cedar. I eventually won," he said. "The cedar gave me a little scratch. As a matter of fact, [a] colonel asked if I needed first aid when she first saw me. I was able to avoid any major surgical operations here, but thanks for your compassion, colonel."


When you think about it, this is quite an amazing statement. Bush, who never served, goes to visit seriously wounded soldiers and comes out to make a joke about his own “injury.” Of course, many of us have noted Bush’s propensity to get injured in weird ways when he’s out of the public eye for several days, but whether he was drunk or sober when he went out to clear brush, he’s got a freaking scratch, for Goddess sakes. He’s apparently incapable of giving a statement that does not focus on him.

Narcissism is defined as: An exaggerated sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements). Only a narcissist would start a war because Saddam threatened his daddy and he wanted to get Saddam’s gun to wave around. Only a narcissist would insist that anyone who criticizes him must favor the terrorists who attacked America on September 11th. Only a narcissist, with a exaggerated sense of his own achievements and talents, would dress up in a flight suit and strut his codpiece across the deck of a carrier decked out with “Mission Accomplished” banners.

And only an asshole would stand in a hospital full of wounded soldiers and talk about his own stupid scratch. I'm just sorry the cedar didn't give him the cockpunch he so desperately needs.

11 comments:

Vicki said...

Ugh. Narcissists are the worst to work with.

Another nice post.

And you're spot on when you call Bush a narcissist. I couldn't believe the way in which he diverted the attention from the wounded to himself.

What a fucking asshole.

Anonymous said...

You nailed it!

Anonymous said...

Definitely the right diagnosis. More examples here and here.

Anonymous said...

Probably right. But never mind the scratches, don't you think he looks tired?

TJ said...

Jebus.
I didn't know about this. He is SUCH an asshole.
See, it's a good thing I wasn't in that hospital, because I don't think the Secret Service would have been able to prevent me from leaping over the beds and throttling him--

"You want to see an injury, motherfucker! I'll show you an injury!"

Anonymous said...

Can't tell you how much I'm enjoying you writing. Your blogs are a treat to read. Another definition of narcissist that I particularly like is, "someone who neither knows or cares how his behavior effects others." That fits Bush too!! Deebee

Anonymous said...

Disagree that we went to war because of Geo. I, sorry, am pretty sure it was so he could play wartime president and grab more powers. (Also make $$ for friends in military industrial businesses.)

Ruth

Anonymous said...

Love it and agree to add it to my list of descriptors (hmmm, lessee - dry drunk, town idiot, silver spoon potentate, liar, felon and *now* narcissist.)

Gotta take issue with one point, Bush *did* serve. While he may not have served honorably or completed his term of service, he did climb into a combat aircraft, wear the uniform and follow some (and probably most) of the orders given him by his senior officers. Its a technicality, but it counts.

As a former reserve officer (ROTC and Capt in the US Army Reserve), I know the sting associated with being told we weren't *real* soldiers. When one puts on the uniform, completes their training and earns their rank - they've served.

Anyway, keep up the good work,
Doc D.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I used to work as a psychotherapist, and I agree with your diagnosis.

Hecate said...

Doctor Dave,

You're right. I should have been more specific. Of course you served. Bush only served in the most technical sense of the term. I meant no disprespect; my aplogies!

Anonymous said...

If, by being in the TX National Guard, the First Asshole "served," how was it that he was simply able to walk away from the remainder of the guard duty he'd signed on for? Such "service" is nothing to be proud of.