CURRENT MOON

Friday, March 31, 2006

And yet they had this extra child, which directly affected me because they did not have enough to go round everybody


A great story from the BBC on African men opting for vasectomies.

The article discusses Ghanaian Kwaku Antwi-Boasiako, 35, a finance administrator, who explained his reasons for having a vasectomy:

"My father had 10 children and I think that how he had to care for so many of us influenced me to take this decision.

When he and my mum had their last but one child, I was still in secondary school really struggling to make ends meet and not having what I needed as a student.

There were nights when I went without food - I virtually starved.

And yet they had this extra child, which directly affected me because they did not have enough to go round everybody."

Mr. Antwi-Boasiako, also explained that: "For my father himself, if he hadn't have had so many children he would have enjoyed his retirement benefits much better than he did.

I don't think he ever enjoyed them himself. I don't want that to happen to me and Femi.

What makes a man, a real man, is not how many children he is able to have but whether he is able to take very good care of the children that he does bring into the world.

The operation has not had any effect at all on my sexual life and there is no difference between now and before the vasectomy.

I am still the man I used to be."

It's amazing how logical people can be when given a chance.

1 comment:

Anne Johnson said...

Oh, if only they all felt this way!