CURRENT MOON

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Beltane

>

Well some over-ambitious fool ordered about 50 coleus plants which showed up today, even though I'm still trying to plant a bunch of mint seedlings and hollyhock seedlings that I grew. Oh, and all three moonflower seedlings and some morning glory seedlings. The parsley and lime balm are so far along that they could stand to be cut back, but Goddess knows when I'd find time to cook anything with them since I need to plant like a maniac between now and when the rain (please, Goddess!) starts tomorrow afternoon. I need to get the seedlings planted and off the screen porch so I can clean the screen porch for Beltane.

I adore Beltane. For many witches, Samhein (that's Halloween for those of you unused to the Wiccan vocabulary) is sort of THE high holy day of the Wiccan calendar, but for me, it's always been Beltane. By Beltane, (May 1st) it's really and truly Spring. There are, here in Zone 7 (aka, Arlington, Virginia), azaleas, and violets, and Solomon's Seal blooming. The peonies aren't blooming yet, but they're back up above the ground, promising to make love to the ants very, very soon. Ditto the iris, and I planted loads and loads of black ones (merci, GWPDA!) last fall and it looks as if they all made it through the winter. Merci, also, to the squirrels, who didn't eat them, even though this was a very lean (aka acorn-scarce) winter for them. My lawn looks, if I say so myself, like the softest green carpet you ever saw and all you want to do when you see it is to pull everything off your feet and let your feet and the grass make love to each other.

Beltane is when the ancient Pagans built the Beltane fires on the hills and danced the maypole and ran off into the meadows and woods to perform the Great Rite. The Great Rite is sympathetic magic at its best: Look Mother Earth! We're procreating and being fertile and mixing it up like mad! You do the same, OK?? Babies born in January, Beltane-got, were considered lucky.

Of course, the xians tried to appropriate Beltane, making May Day a feast of Mary. I can remember as a child being fascinated with the altar we set up in our living room to Mary in May and the fresh flowers we picked every day for the plaster statue of Mary, bare foot on a snake. I suppose it's no surprise that as an adult I keep an altar to the Goddess, primarily in the form of Hecate, in my home. The Soviets tried to appropriate May Day from the xians, making it a Worker's Holiday and using it to parade their military might. But, in the end, the Goddess gets back her own. From April 30th through May 1st, Pagans all over the world, including my little circle of women, will celebrate Beltane.

We'll worship Venus, and Aphrodite, and Isis, and Amateresu, and Yemaya, and other Goddesses of love, beauty, sex, sensuality. We'll light the Beltane fire, weave crowns of roses, and lilies, and carnations, and lilacs, throw offerings to the Beltane fire, drink pink champagne, eat lovely food, and dance until we're exhausted. And then . . . .

Appropriate, isn't it, that Beltane comes just after Earth Day? I'll have a bit more to say about Earth Day in the next couple of days.

7 comments:

Anne Johnson said...

Think about adding the Fairie Festival in Glen Rock, PA to your calendar. It's on the weekend after Beltane and is a veritable riot of Goddess mayhem.

I have a shring to Queen Brighid the Bright in my foyer. I keep my wand under her portrait. I pray she'll protect my home and hearth.

geor3ge said...

If you love azaleas, you need to get down to Summerville, SC some late April.

A blessed Beltane to you

Anonymous said...

I think my family was about the last in town to do May baskets. It's over forty years ago that we did it the last time. Not knowing if they originated in your religon I can say that it was McCarthyism that did it in. May Day was a commie celebration.

Hecate, it's replacement officially by "Law Day" always seemed like the fascist state crushing the papercups decorated with crepe paper and flowers.

Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

Don't fret about cutting back the parsley and lime balm and not being able to use it all. That's the beauty of growing herbs. As opposed to veggies, where you feel like you HAVE to use EVERY SINGLE ONE you grow, herbs produce FAR more than you could EVER use and keep producing right up to the first frost (and some beyond), so they encourage us to be profligate with their abundance!

Woody (Tokin Librul/Rogue Scholar/ Helluvafella!) said...

me? i'm the horny guy just standing there, looking stunned by it all

watertiger said...

I knew I loved Spring!

Anonymous said...

kyrie 7
supreme shirt
paul george shoes
bape
jordan outlet
golden goose outlet
goyard bags
cheap golden goose sneakers
off white outlet
off white clothing