CURRENT MOON

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Grrrrrr!


So I'm about two or three years away, finance wise, from doing the landscaping that I knew I'd have to do when I bought this house. My backyard has a terrible awkward slope that will need to be fixed w/ retaining walls and I need to enclose the garden, if not with the (expensive) brick walls that I long for, at least with some very solid, very high fences that I can cover with vines. Need private space for the witches to dance and do ritual, you know.

But this am I'm out on the screen porch and something happened that never happens. My neighbors (and I use that term loosely since I've lived here two and a half years and met everyone else for blocks around but never met this couple) from directly behind me were OUT IN THEIR BACK YARD. With two guys with big scrolls in their hands. Contractors. Architects. So, being a nosy witch, I stretched my ears out and listened to what they were saying. Garage. Grading. Lots of grading.

Shit. Fuck. Damn. Going to need those fences sooner rather than later. Up until now, these folks have never been out in their yard. They do nothing to take care of it or to garden, but there's a big apple tree and some shrubs that harbor wildlife so I've kind of enjoyed it. Now, they're going to tear things up, build shit, and generally make a mess and noise all summer long. Shit. Fuck. Damn.

4 comments:

Ellie Finlay said...

Oh I'm so sorry you're going to have to put up with all the noise. I lived next door one time to a house being constructed and I know what that's like. I don't blame you for going "Grrrrr"!

Anne Johnson said...

You know what grows great in fences? Poison ivy. When I moved into my house, there was a chain-link fence so densely covered in the stuff that you couldn't see through it in a million years.

I do not recommend this course of action. Fence, yes. Poison ivy, no. And get right on it, because in a lot of places, if your neighbor puts up a fence, then you can't.

Please put me on the invitation list to your next witch event.

Sandy-LA 90034 said...

I hope it won't be as bad as you suppose. I find certain types of noise physically painful. Because of this, when I got a notice from the city that the cottage next door was going to be torn down and an apartment put up, I created lots of scenarios that made me very anxious.

The actuality has been much less painful than anticipated. If you work outside of your home, you may not experience too much distress at all.

The construction workers are not allowed to begin construction (here in L.A.) before 7:00 am and I think they're supposed to finish by 5:00 pm or so. They do work some Saturdays, but not Sunday.

Some days they don't work at all -- sometimes that is due to the weather, but sometimes they can't work because they haven't received a shipment of materials yet. I once heard the construction boss complaining loudly on a cell phone that he had to send the workers home because something hadn't been delivered in time.

I cherish the evenings when it is quiet all the more.

I hope some of these situations may occur so you can withstand the noise and still enjoy your summer.

Anonymous said...

Hecate, I, too, hope the noise and irritation level is less than one would expect. We will eventually have the same thing because there is a vacant lot across from us that the local slum lord owns. I know he's just waiting to sell so someone will build one of those hideous tall, skinny things that will completely block our view and get rid of some trees the wildlife depend on.

But, for heaven's sake - do what you need to insure your privacy. It is precious and priceless!!