CURRENT MOON

Friday, June 02, 2006

It Is Not a Political Issue; It Is a Moral Issue


Via Miniver Cheevy, one of my new favorite blogs, comes this review by Roger Ebert of Al Gore's new movie, AIT: "'In 39 years, I have never written these words in a movie review, but here they are: You owe it to yourself to see this film.'"

Ebert goes on to say, "In England, Sir James Lovelock, the scientist who proposed the Gaia hypothesis (that the planet functions like a living organism), has published a new book saying that in 100 years mankind will be reduced to 'a few breeding couples at the Poles.' Gore thinks 'that's too pessimistic. We can turn this around just as we reversed the hole in the ozone layer. But it takes action right now, and politicians in every nation must have the courage to do what is necessary. It is not a political issue. It is a moral issue.'

When I said I was going to a press screening of "An Inconvenient Truth," a friend said, "Al Gore talking about the environment! Bor...ing!" This is not a boring film. The director, Davis Guggenheim, uses words, images and Gore's concise litany of facts to build a film that is fascinating and relentless. In 39 years, I have never written these words in a movie review, but here they are: You owe it to yourself to see this film. If you do not, and you have grandchildren, you should explain to them why you decided not to."

I have a grandson. I'm seeing the movie on Monday night with a group of witches. I hope that you will see it, too.

5 comments:

Eli said...

politicians in every nation must have the courage to do what is necessary.

We're doomed.


Good on Ebert, though!

Reel Fanatic said...

I never would have guessed that Al Gore could have made a movie that's generating such good buzz .. I would love to see it, but will probably have to wait for DVD, because it isn't playing anywhere near my little corner of the world!

Anonymous said...

Saw it on Friday with my non-environmentalist boyfriend. It was wonderfully done. Better: My BF who always sort of sighed when I'd bring up the topic of environmentalism is completly fired up. He learned a lot. I think it will be a wake up call to a lot of people...

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.