CURRENT MOON

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Osama bin Forgotten


The NYT reports that, "The Central Intelligence Agency has closed a unit that for a decade had the mission of hunting Osama bin Laden and his top lieutenants, intelligence officials confirmed Monday. The unit, known as Alec Station, was disbanded late last year and its analysts reassigned within the C.I.A. Counterterrorist Center, the officials said."

Although the agency attempted to spin the story to maintain that they are still actively trying to find bin Laden, who has claimed responsibility for the murder of thousands of people on September 11, 2001, the NYT notes that, "Michael Scheuer, a former senior C.I.A. official who was the first head of the unit, said the move reflected a view within the agency that Mr. bin Laden was no longer the threat he once was. Mr. Scheuer said that view was mistaken. 'This will clearly denigrate our operations against Al Qaeda," he said. "These days at the agency, bin Laden and Al Qaeda appear to be treated merely as first among equals.'"

As Bush said in a press conference in March of 2002, "So I don't know where he is. You know, I just don't spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you. . . . I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him."

Bill Clinton caught the people responsible for the first attack on the World Trade Center, gave them a fair trial, and threw their asses in jail. George Bush and his CIA aren't even looking for Osama bin Laden.

2 comments:

Anne Johnson said...

. . . because Osama's family comes to Bush barbecues and doles out bucks by the busload.

Anonymous said...

heh. this otta piss a few wingnuts off. i love it.

mestizo