CURRENT MOON

Monday, December 11, 2006

Gardening In The Deep Of Winter


Do you know it? Do you know the thick, connected mass of roots that make up a plant that you are pulling up from the ground, from a container, from your yard? Do you you know it? Do you know the water-saturated acorn that tries so seriously to make a new oak tree, before you can pull it up, before you realize what is growing in your yard?

The seed company tells me that it will be September 2007 before they will send me black hyacinths. Meanwhile, I will have planted white Queen Anne's lace. Meanwhle, my black iris will flower for the second year. Meanwhile, I will give D-i-L's mother seeds from my black hollyhocks for xmas. Meanwhile, meanwhile, I will grow what I can grow in this shady yard for yet-another year.

4 comments:

donna said...

You can get the bulbs here:

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/m7089/1

Anonymous said...

We're going to be adding to our baby forest this spring. We plant over 100 trees per year, many bulbs, and lots of wild flowers. We also let our old horse pasture be fallow so the wildlife and bugs have a place to live that is safe from tractors and blades.
In total, we've planted over 6,000 trees since we moved here 8 years ago. One year we went NUTS and planted 4500 in 8 days.
I just love planting things!
G in INdiana

Anonymous said...

It's happening again. Can't seem to leave messages here. I'm trying again.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, now it worked. Just wanted to say that I hate pulling up baby trees, and so my yard is starting to look rather strange. I cut them back after the growing season ends.