CURRENT MOON

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Nice


Via Witchvox, Here's an article from the Nashua Telegraph that is another well-written, respectful discussion of Wicca by a small, local paper. I'm noticing more and more often that, while the WaPo pretends that minority relligions don't exist and while other large media outlets only cover Wiccans from the "ooooh, spooky" standpoint, lots of local papers do a decent job of reporting on local Wiccan events.

MILFORD – For most of us, the holiday season involves trudging through crowded shopping malls, enduring long, aggravating lines, and slogging through the mass exodus from said shopping malls.

On the other hand, many followers of pagan religions spend the weeks before their major winter holiday – Yule – making handmade gifts, pounding out their excess energy in drum circles, and working with calming herbs to cleanse the soul.The second annual Yule Festival in the Ancient Tradition, held at the Unitarian Universalist Church on Saturday, offered all of those options to practicing pagans and curious community members alike.

The Granite Tribe chapter of SpiralScouts International, the pagans’ answer to Boys and Girl Scouts, sponsored the event.

2 comments:

Koi said...

Hi stumbled upon your blog. I am a Pagan mama to 2 small ones. One is 3 and a firefly in Spiral Scouts. We love it! So just thought I'd give a shout out from someone whose kid is in a troop!:)

Feel free to stop by my blog any time. It's just me and my best friend and our views on life!

Anonymous said...

The idea of pagan scouting is really interesting to me. I was in Guiding (what the rest of the world calls Girl Scouts) for years, and I realise in hindsight that they could have made a lot of trouble for me as an avowed atheist (I used to omit the part in the oath about doing "my duty to God" and just say "do my duty to the Queen and my country," instead), but I managed to get out alive.

I am interested in minority-religion issues because I figure all religious minorities (whether that religion is non-Christian, or simply none at all) are basically in the same boat. A lot of the time the prevailing attitude is "shut up and act Christian," and that sucks.