CURRENT MOON

Friday, July 21, 2006

Let The Wild Rumpus Begin -- Theodora Goss Explains Subversive KidLit


Why Where the Wild Things Are is a subversive book:

1. Because it teaches that it is OK to eat your mother, or at least threaten to do so.
2. Because it teaches that a wolf suit is acceptable attire, both in the home and for outdoor activities.
3. Because it teaches that in the end, whatever you have done, your supper will still be waiting for you.
4. Because it teaches that the imagination is more important than reality.

Why Where the Wild Things Are is an important book:

1. Because it teaches that monster are cowards (so you should not be fooled by their terrible roars or their terrible claws).
2. Because it teaches that everyone needs a little wild rumpus.
3. Because it teaches that a hot supper is more important than being king.
4. Because it teaches that the imagination is more important than reality.

What I have demonstrated, I hope, is that you cannot raise a child without Where the Wild Things Are. At least, not a child who will grow up to be subversive and important, as everyone should be..

Son's favorite book, EVER. Can't wait to read it to Grandson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved that book when I was a teenager and babysitting -- it came out too late for me to read it as a child. The kids I babysat loved it, too.

It was also one of my daughter's favorite books. I can still recite it, cover to cover, and picture all the illustrations in my head. That's how often I read it to her.

BTW, GWPDA, I think you're thinking of the other Maurice Sednak book, In the Night Kitchen. There's no nakedness in WTWTA.