CURRENT MOON

Monday, July 17, 2006

Sacred Places in the Modern World -- The Fifth in a Continuing Series


The Met. I live in a city of museums, but I have to say that one of the major sacred places in the modern, urban, world is the Met. You can sit in the Met, in the room full of Egyptian temples, or -- my favorite -- the room full of Tiffany windows and turn of the century sculptures -- and, no matter how many other people are around, you can enter sacred space. I'd match the Peacock Room at the Freer and the salon with Morning in the Tropics (my favorite painting of all time) at the National Gallery of Art in DC with the Met, but, really, that's all. The Met is just, well, it's the Met.

Today, on the way to work, i was remembering the lovely old folk ballad that says, "Bring me some peace when there's talk of war, when it's hard to find. Bring me some peace when there's talk of war, I've got peace on my mind. Oh, peace is sweet, most anytime and, yet, bring me some peace when there's talk of war and how easy we forget." We hear so much right now about war. We need sacred space all that much more.

Where do you find it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the met's one of my favorite places in the world. proposed to my wife there.

ok, you've convinced me. i'm taking friday off and going to the met.

Anonymous said...

When I first went to the Met as an adult, I had to keep reminding myself that all these familiar paintings weren't reproductions or prints, so used was I to seeing imitations in dorms and suburban living rooms. Best surprise: Renoir's "Two Girls at a Piano."

--Draco