CURRENT MOON

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Bees


There's a Blue Moon -- the second full moon of this month -- tonight. All across America, groups and individuals will be raising energy, praying for, and doing magic to save the honeybees. The response to this rather ad hoc effort, organized by my madcap friend R., has been amazing. Reiki workers will be sending reiki to the bees. Solotaries will be dancing for the bees. Druids will be druiding and witches will be casting spells. R. will lead a varied group of Pagans tonight at a ritual and my own circle of amazing women will be doing magic tomorrow night.

You don't have to know how to do magic. You don't have to be a master ceremonial magician. All you need to do is to spend some time tonight imagining a world in which the honeybees can thrive and then send those images out into the universe "for the good of all and to the harm of none." Mary Oliver, as is so often the case, said it best: <

I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?


What else were you going to do tonight that's more important?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers and all the good I may do is with you tonight. Two weeks ago I roamed the gardens of the Alhambra Palace in Spain, acres of flowers in all directions, only one solitary bee did I see. Worrying.

Anonymous said...

Think about the bees!

Anonymous said...

Here's more on "blue moons"

http://skytonight.com/observing/objects/moon/3304131.html?page=2&c=y

Iwonder said...

Good on you, Hecate for encouraging this. Do you celebrate Wesak? If you do, do you know if there is any significance to having a blue moon in May?

Anonymous said...

Seems to be plenty of bees in my yard. Lots of plants in bloom, especially ice plant. I'm in Escondido, on the edge of San Diego.
I read an article in the last week or so about organic beekeepers not having the die off problem, possibly
because they don't stress their bees by moving their hives.
uilliam

ntodd said...

I'm allergic to bees, but thankfully not to green cheese.

ellroon said...

Anonymous is right. I've been collecting the bee articles http://rantsfromtherookery.blogspot.com/search?q=bees
and the organic or hobbyist bee keeper does not seem to be having the CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder).

Anne Johnson said...

LlynHydd Grove lifted up the bees in our oak ceremony on Blue Moon. Specifically a poem by William Butler Yeats.