CURRENT MOON

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Christianist Attacks on Democratic Pagans


Jason, at the Wild Hunt, has a disturbing story of a Pagan politician being singled-out for harassment and intimidation by a group of Christianists.

Rita Moran is the Chair of the Kennebec County Democratic Committee in Maine. She runs a local bookstore, Apple Valley Books, that sells Pagan books, including books related to Pagan parenting, a popular topic among Pagans, most of whom converted to Paganism as adults and are now having families that they want to raise in their religion. Moran is also a member of the Immanent Grove, a gnostic circle.

A group that goes by what I consider to be the unAmerican name The Christian Civic League has put up a web page with information about Moran's political postition and her religious beliefs, including the terrifying fact that she sells books for Pagan parents. The Christian Civic League helpfully provides lots of contact informaton, including Moran's address, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses. We all know the purpose of that.

Moran reports that: My primary concerns are financial. When this happened, I "zeroed out" the donation total on our county Dems website (http://www.kennebecdems.org). There has not been a single donation since I've been "outed". I'm even more concerned about the loss of business here at our bookshop as Michael Hein's attack turns to even more vicious rumors. I guess what I'd ask from the community is whatever support they can offer. Tranquil energy, book orders, donations to our county committee if you wish to recognize that aspect of my community service. Thanks all..."

I don't have much to add to what Jason said in his post. I just think this story needs to get out. This is an attack not only on Pagans, but on Democrats, as well. It's also, as Jason notes, part of a deliberate campaign to make it impossible to hold office in America if you don't belong to one of the two main Abrahamic cults. Fuck that shit.

Send the Kennebeck Dems some love.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://constantinessword.com/
I would suggest you check this out...it is profound.
cs

Hecate said...

anon,

What part of I'm not a xian and I don't believe in your deity or your holy book are you unable to comprehend? Take your sword and go the fuck home. It's a device of death.

Unknown said...

I've sent email in support, which is about all I have the wherewithall to do at the moment.

Hecate said...

a tabla rasa,

Thank you so much. I am so grateful.

Tom said...

Well, to play devil's advocate here, it isn't as if anyone has a right to expect either business to come through the door or to find support from the electorate. I have nothing against pagans myself, but if enough people do... well, democracy is Greek for "mob rule". I'm not sure that there's anything that anyone can "do" about this.

Anonymous said...

I would like to suggest 1) filing an abuse complaint with their ISP for posting your public info on their site (or whichever site it was); failing that, 2) retaliate by posting their personal info, tit for tat; 3) convening a coven and casting evil magick spells against all of them; 3a) posting the transcript of those spells. Believers are affected, and if they did not believe, they wouldn't have begun messing with you. A-wmyn! Cross Out the Xians.

Anonymous said...

Hecate, your response to my post regarding http://constantinessword.com
is a bit hasty. I do not have or want a sword, I sing with the Goddess and my holy book is one of herbs, animals and feminine energy.
This site reviews a new documentary about the dark truths of christianity past present and future. It directly relates to your blog post "Christianist attacks on democratic Pagans. I read your blog daily, from what i gather about your socio-polical views, you will find this site intriguing...watch the trailer...

Anonymous said...

Anonymous @ 3:54 am

Spreading hate and evil to fight hate and evil is not the answer.

Hecate said...

Anonymous,

I apoligize if I spoke hastily. I glanced at the site and thought it was xianist dogma, but I'll look again.

Anonymous said...

Dee,
I couldnt agree more...now we need to pass those sentiments along. disperse them like seeds of a dandylion. Faith, Belief, Religon (whatever form) have deep roots in our consciousness---one answer is to build bridges, one to engage in empathetic dialog, one to become detached from our own source in order to gain perspective. Peace x Peace did a great gathering of women from Palestine and Israel, brought them together and encourage growth. The outcome was amazing..(google it) Another documentary, that actually came to Ann Arbor in March, was called, "Refusing to be enemies" which did something similar...i think we can all take lessons from these and really awaken and enact peace through our womyn circles...

Anonymous said...

We posted this info on our blog as well and directed any of our visitors who might purchase a book through our amazon links to give their business to Apple Valley Books instead.

Mama Kelly

mirele said...

The good Christians keep knocking off my comments whenever I quote Article VI, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution. Of course, that particular bit of the Constitution shows them for what they are, people who want to impose a religious test for office.

Hecate said...

mamma kelly,

You rock. Thanks so much!