CURRENT MOON

Monday, October 06, 2008

Things That Give Me Hope


There's an old Joan Baez song that begs:

Bring me a rose in the wintertime, when it's hard to find,
bring me a rose in the wintertime, I've got
roses on my mind.
A rose is sweet, most anytime and, yet,
bring me a rose in the wintertime and how easy we forget.

Bring me a smile when I'm far from home, when it's hard to find,
bring me a smile when I'm far from home, I've got
smiling on my mind.
A smile is sweet, most anytime and, yet,
bring me a smile when I'm far from home and how easy we forget.

Bring me some peace when there's talk of war, when it's hard to find,
bring me some peace when there's talk of war, I've got
peace on my mind.
Oh, peace is sweet, most anytime and yet,
bring me some peace when there's talk of war and how easy we forget.


Today was a terrible day to be following the news. Our economy doing the one thing we all knew it would do, but hoped that it wouldn't, after decades of deregulation and greed. The McCain campaign going completely negative on Obama in the hopes that what worked for Bush and Rove will work again. The environment in a tailspin and every fifty-year-old I know walking around with the dazed look of one who really groks that she will NEVER be able to retire.

And so, here's a rose for you in the wintertime, a short list of things that give me hope:

Dinner w a dear old friend whose pursuit of her own v, v, v advanced degree a continent away from where she lived convinced me that I could, too, go to evening law school. We drank and ate and traded gossip and talked politics and discussed our children and grandchildren and just being at a table next to her gave me strength and made me feel better. May you have friends like her.

Freeway Blogger doing what only he does and what all of us ought to do.

Barefoot College.

Nudibranches. Honest; this site keeps me going when everything else seems grim. How can you possibly have incorporated on the same planet as a nudibranch and give in to despair?

Obama is 12 points ahead in Virginia. Hello, Sarah, did you enjoy your little rally in Falls Church the other week? Bring it, bitch.

And, of course, Jeff Skilling is still in jail.

Photo found here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

> every fifty-year-old I know walking around with the dazed look of one who really groks that they will NEVER be able to retire.

I instantly hated those Dennis Hopper financial service (whichever one) retirement adds. He strolls on a beach looking at a $6 million yacht on the water, saying something like, "Our generation is different. When we retire, no shuffleboard for us." And I'm thinking, "That's right. For us it will be cat food, if we're lucky." And that was before the current "troubles". Smug, lying, greedy bastards.

greer said...

I really want to retire before I'm 80. I really hate the smell of cat food. I really don't want Palin to stir up the racists here in VA. I really don't want to have to go kick ass at my age. I really want to catch the metro down to DC on Jan. 20th with my 3 sons and watch history being made.