CURRENT MOON

Friday, January 16, 2009

Obama Restaurant Watch


DC is, and I'll go to the mat w anyone who says otherwise, a great restaurant town. I have my own personal favorites (Nora, Othello's, Kaz, Cafe Belga, the patio at Morton's in the summer, mostly for sentimental reasons, Cafe la Ruche, Le Gaulois, Taverna Cretekou (OK, the last two are technically in Alexandria), but you can eat out here night after night and never get a bad meal.

The WaPo reports that Barack and Michelle Obama plan to have regular date nights out in DC. Last night, they ate at Todd Gray's ten-year-old restaurant, Equinox. Equinox is good, although I think of it more as a take-a-client-out restaurant and less of a date-night restaurant. WaPo reports that the president-elect chose salad greens with chablis poached apples and picked watermelon radish as a first course. Mrs. Obama opted for the pan fried Rappahannock oysters. Both selected a grilled all-natural striploin steak for the main course. For dessert, Michelle Obama ordered the crispy bananas. Gray also provided a tasting menu during the meal and Zabaglione Gelato for dessert. I'd have started with the Pan Fried Rappahannock Oysters with Capers, Parsley Butter, Celery Root Puree, Golden Pineapple, and Celery Leaf Salad. I'd have skipped the main courses and ordered three side dishes: Red Pearl Onions and Garden Thyme, Baked Truffled Mac and Cheese, and Robert’s Braised Collard Greens with Applewood Bacon. If I had any room left at all, I'd have done the cheese tray,

I hope the Obamas eat out regularly in DC. During Restaurant Week, they can even get some v good bargains!


Photo found here.

No comments: