CURRENT MOON

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Merriam Webster Adds New Words To Dictionary


Check out just a few of the new words:

acai
carbon footprint
cardioprotective
earmark
fan fiction
flash mob
frenemy
goji
green-collar
haram
locavore
memory foam
missalette
naproxen
neuroprotective
pharmacogenetics
physiatry
reggaeton
shawarma
sock puppet
staycation
vlog
waterboarding
webisode
zip line

Find the definitions here. I knew most, but I admit that I figured "memory foam" meant the way that, at my age, you kinda-sorta remember that you read or heard something about something related to the topic, but you can't remember exactly what or exactly where. And I didn't know "haram," either.

How'd you do?

Picture found here.

3 comments:

Aquila ka Hecate said...

I didn't know naproxeb. I do now!

Interestingly I did know both haram and shawarma (also shvarma, yumyum), as South Africa has a very present Middle-Eastern component to its citizenry.
Oh yes, and missalette also stumped me. Not going to waste time over that one.
Love,
Terri in Joburg

Aquila ka Hecate said...

..er..naproxen. Sorry. It's still dark here.

Unknown said...

I now use the dictionary I won from "It's Academic" in 1977 as a teaching tool. There must be 100 words in regular use now that aren't in that dictionary. Even I.R.A. is defined as "Irish Republican Army."