CURRENT MOON

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

May The Goddess Guard Him. May He Find His Way To The Summerlands. May His Friends And Family Know Peace


LAT reports that Murray Bookchin, an anti-capitalist thinker who in the early 1960s was among the first theorists to bring ecology into the political debate, arguing that economic policies based on profit were harming the environment, has died. He was 85.


Interestingly, "I don't regard people as a cancer on the planet," Bookchin wrote in a publication called Green Perspectives. "The real cancer that afflicts the planet is capitalism and hierarchy."

To ecologists whose world view is primarily spiritual, he added, "I don't think we can count on prayers, rituals and good vibes to remove this cancer; I think we have to fight it with all the power we have."

A typical response from a bio-centrist: "Compost the word 'anarchy' and do something real."


Katrina Messenger says that the best spell for a new job is filling out a job application. I don't believe that I ever had any real disagreement with Mr. Bookchin, no matter how much he may have wished to pick one with me.

Thank you for bringing the relationship between capitalism and the destruction of the environment to the forefront, Mr. Bookchin. I will miss you.

1 comment:

ntodd said...

You know he died in Burlington, and I'm a mere handshake away...