CURRENT MOON

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Spring


Mother of the Gods!

This is what I call weather. Sixty degrees, sunny, sky as clear blue as Mary's mantle. Thanks to Son and G/Son and my madcap friend R. and to the hours and hours and hours that I spent last Autumn, the yard clean-up this Spring consisted of about an hour of gathering sticks. I'm transplanting crocus and bluebells and daffs in Spring instead of July to accommodate the landscaping that's going on. Everything, from the lilacs to the Japanese Maples to the rhododendron to the day lilies to the azaleas to the hostas to the woad to the fig trees is budding, budding, budding.

The male cardinal keeps demanding more seed and my squirrels who should, by rights, be skin and bones, following an Autumn of NO acorns, are fat as pigs, sitting on the deck railing calmly opening the peanuts with their little fingers, scarfing the sunflower seeds, feasting on kernels of corn. They chuff and scold Miss Thing whenever she dares to venture onto the screen porch. She turns her nose up at them and heads back inside. "I didn't want to associate with riff raff, anyway."

If I can just eat breakfast out here for the next 7 months, I'm happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How happy I am for you! My garden is a mess from more than two seasons of neglect due to illness. This year, though, my green thumb is a-tingling and I've made a good start. To be able to "make out" with my beloved garden once more is a joy I feared I'd lost forever, but the Goddess and the Faerie Queen definitely had other plans! Enjoy their bounty, as will I.

Ruth said...

I have my first anemone blooming. Joy!

Anne Johnson said...

I ventured into my garden the day before our one and only significant snowstorm. I promptly incurred the worst case of poison ivy I've ever had. Sadly, I have concluded that the faeries own my garden, and that they will allow growth of that which they crave.

This explains the magnificent abundance of beautiful bloodroot now gracing my pitiful plot with snowy white, yellow-centered, sun-sensitive flowers. Bloodroot is an Appalachian wildflower, but it seems to love New Jersey with a passion.

All this is by means of saying that if you ever find yourself motoring towards Philadelphia, I can dig up a root or two for you. It's an awesome flower!