CURRENT MOON

Monday, October 26, 2009

A Cell Phone For Pagans


Turns out, iPhones are for monotheists, Motorola's new phone the Droid (actually the Droid Eris, although why they'd name a phone for the Goddess of Strife is beyond me; sometimes, cell phones cause strife, but that's not what I'd call a selling point) is for Pagans.

No, really.

In a religious sense, the iPhone is a monotheistic religion. Basically, its OS believes in one device. Yes, I know there is the iPod touch, as well as variations of the iPhone (original, 3G, 3GS), but these are essentially all the same device with essentially the same hardware, just boosted specs. Meanwhile, Android, Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, Symbian, etc. are all polytheists. But "pagans," while perhaps not exactly right, is a cooler term, so let's go with that. All of these other mobile OSes are pagans. They answer to many devices, their "gods."

Now, I'm not saying that the pagan approach is a bad one, I'm simply saying that in trying to kill a monotheist device with a pagan OS is going to be very hard. The problem is that none of these pagan OSes have any one device that they can use to sell the masses. They may put more faith in one device at any given time (which Android is already doing with Droid), but ultimately, their allegiance lies with the many other devices under their OS umbrella as well. The pagan church (in the Android case, Google), would be unwise to play favorites because it would undermine the ultimate goal: To be on as many devices as possible.


I don't care; I'm not giving up my iPhone.

Hail Eris! Hail Discordia!

Picture (pun intended) found here.

1 comment:

Teacats said...

Discord???? Thats the best that highly-paid thinkers could choose? Good Gravy. I have enough discord in my on-going battle with technology. The whole thing gives me the heebie-jeebies.


Jan at Rosemary Cottage (where anything with a button and brain --goes to die .....)