CURRENT MOON

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Other writers,

When you're writing something, do you live it? I'm working on a brief and, for the first time in my career, I had an associate who works for me do the first draft. But, even so, I'm living it. I think about it, dream about it, pray about it, walk to work to its cadence.

What is it about writing something that makes it so magical? Why is writing such a powerful act?

It consumes me. I give myself all the way over to the writing in a way that's beyond the way I've ever given myself, witch that I am, over to a human lover. I just live for the sound of the words, for the selection of one set of words over another. I wake up thinking of the best way to say what I want to say and go to sleep dreaming of the way my words might affect three judges and their clerks. I know I'm driving this associate nuts explaining to her why one set of changes works but another won't.

I have some dear friends who are studying Air this year. The direction of East, thought, communication, ideas, new beginnings. Their watchword for this year is "Damn Birds." Birds keep showing up in their lives as they focus on East. I live in the East, make my living by my ability to write. And, there are times, like now, when I can't imagine a different spiritual practice.

is it like this for you, too?

7 comments:

echidne said...

Not quite like that, partly, because I write in a second language and feel this handicap most of the time. But I have little ditties in my head, singing themselves over and over again, unless I write what they say down. So I have to. It really is a feeling of necessity, or otherwise I shall perish. But it can be wonderful, too, flying for hours at a time without knowing the time or the place.

Vicki said...

Hecate,

For me, writing makes what I have to say "real." I'm a visual person. It is a contract with myself. It is a concrete way of validating what I think, believe, feel, and hope.

Writing carries more weight with me than does speaking. Writing creates a pact; speaking, if not recorded, vanishes into air ~ the words never to heard again in exactly the same context.

Hecate said...

Dear cynicus,

My friends studying Air are doing so through a Mystery School run by a wonderful teacher, Katrina Messenger. I'm going to be posting a link to her blog shortly. Also, check out T. Thorne Coyle's book which has a great section on Air. But R. and A. will be living Air this year in a very intense way. Very intense.

I'd love to spend time at your place. All those birds!

Hecate said...

riting creates a pact; speaking, if not recorded, vanishes into air ~ the words never to heard again in exactly the same context.

Vicki,

I think you've hit on part of it. When we write words, we know they won't shift, as our perceptions, awareness, and thoughts often do. So we try harder to "get it right." In law, there's a way to "get it right." If the court agrees with you, it was right.

In life? Well, that's a different story. Which explains part of why I gave myself to Law.

Anonymous said...

I am re-reading, 'Babbit' by Sinclair
Lewis. First read this in about,, oh,, 1988.

And while it is true that the words have not changed (same books) my interpretation and perception of the words have been transformed by many factors,, thought, experience, discovery, older idols crashing,, etc.

So, in essence, did the words remain the same?

Is it the dancer or the dance ?

geor3ge said...

So glad to see you finally have a blog of your own. Be well.

Anonymous said...

The birds anecdote had me laughing. Gotta love Divinity-with-a-sense-of-humor, manifesting all over the effin' place until you stop and throw your hands up and say, "OK, OK...I get it...you're everywhere!" Tres cool.