CURRENT MOON

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Find a Sacred Well and Read Some Poetry -- or Write Some!

Happy Imbolc! February 2nd is one of the eight major Pagan holidays. It goes by several names, but in my Circle, we call it Imbolc. It’s been almost six weeks since the Winter Solstice and you really can tell that the days are getting longer. Spring’s not here yet, but we can tell that it’s coming.

We celebrate and honor the Celtic Goddess Brigit (pronounced Breed). Brigit was worshipped at various sacred wells throughout Ireland and Scotland. She was the goddess of, among other things, blacksmiths and poets. I’ve always loved that juxtaposition -- blacksmiths and poets. The connection, for me at least, is that they both work with fire.

I’ve been thinking lately about what poor poetry, what poor art in general, totalitarian regimes tend to produce. And here’s what I believe, although I know of no study that backs this up: I believe that the side with the best poets always wins in the end. In the sixties, the anti-war side had, by far, the better poets, albeit that those poets tended to put their poetry to music.

And, I’m wondering, where are our poets today? Who’s writing good poetry that explains what’s wrong with the theocracy that is being installed in the White House, Capitol, and Court Houses across America? Who’s writing the poetry that will, in the words of the poem by Kinnell, help America to remember how to blossom from within of self-blessing?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've ordered some seed from Fedco Seed Coop.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/

And in a gesture of hope springing eternal, started some artichoke seeds.

A language anecdote:

Churchill and the Dutch ambassador were standing on a balcony. Chruchill said, Ah, spring is in the air. The Dutch ambassador looked at him oddly and said, Why would I want to do that right now?

Anonymous said...

Blessed be, Hecate. Poets? Mary Oliver, of course. And Adrienne Rich, maybe Wendell Berry. And my daughter.

Anonymous said...

green, don't forget John Clare, the forgotten nature poet of sometimes fierce observation. His poem "Badger" is one of the most disturbing poems in the English language.

Anonymous said...

EPT, thanks for the recommendation. I honestly don't know him. Off to the bookstores for me.

Hecate said...

ept,

I don't know him; I'll have to check him out!

Anonymous said...

I think this has just about all of his work in it.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/8672

Anonymous said...

that was me. I was going to include The Badger but it really is rather disturbing. Most of it isn't.

Anonymous said...

refinance mortgage