CURRENT MOON

Friday, March 24, 2006

Spoiler Alert -- Don't Read If You're Going to See V for Vendetta


Ok, I'm going to get flamed for this, but here goes.

Saw V for Vendetta on Monday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I find it really amusing, in an oh-you're-revealing-so-much-more-than-you-realize kind of way that America's right wing, which purports to be all about "freedom" and "democracy", knew instinctively that the movie was aimed at them. I've chuckled at their horror at the notion that a fictional character could be heroic BECAUSE he blew up a building. I don't remember hearing any of them disavow Howard Roark.

But over the past few days, something has started to bother me. Let me say first that I never read the book, so it's possible that the issue that's been tugging at my mind is explained more thoroughly in the book. All I have to go on is what happened in the movie. SPOILER ALERT: I'M ABOUT TO REVEAL MATERIAL FROM THE MOVIE.

In the movie, V saves Evey from rape -- pretty classic hero stuff. He then sweeps her off to a rooftop because he wants someone to witness what he's about to do: blow up a building. It's a normal human reaction, although it certainly places Evey in danger every bit as great as she was in even a few minutes ago when he saved her. The next day, she saves him and then he saves her, bringing her to his hideout. He tells her that she'll have to stay there for a year, until his plan to blow up Parliament has reached fruition. Evey manages to escape, only to get arrested by the fascist police force. V somehow rescues her, but she doesn't know that. She doesn't know it because she's in a jail where she's routinely physically and emotionally tortured.

Turns out, V was her torturer. But, he did it because he loves her. He wants to make her fearless, so he torturers her. In return, she falls in love with him and helps him save the world.

OK, it's fiction. And, maybe the movie had to collapse a lot of stuff into a short time and the book is different. I don't know. But the man who saves a woman from rape only to torture her (in one way or anther), for her own good, is a standard in quite a bit of fiction. And I've never heard that torture makes its victims fearless. PTSD is a much more frequent result of torture than fearlessness. But I will say that, for many women, falling in love with the torturer is a survival technique.

So the whole thing kept reminding me of something and then I finally realized what it reminded me of. It reminded me of Robin Morgan's The Demon Lover. Morgan realized, long before September 11th, that patriarchal society often finds terrorism sexy. As Beverly Miller noted in 1989, Morgan's book "raises questions other authors have avoided: Why are most terrorists men? Why do terrorist acts primarily victimize women and children? What is the relationship of terrorism to the patriarchal state, to the mythic hero, to messianic religion? To the economic and social policies of, among other nations, the United States?" Recently, Morgan has asked, "Is it possible that terrorism attracts so much attention today because men, as well as being its main perpetrators, are also among its victims?" She explained that, " If men are now afraid in daily circumstances, why then the situation must be taken seriously, attention must be paid.

Men of the State-that-is [the Establishment] and men of the State-that-would-be [“rebels” or “terrorists”] share a peculiar intoxication. It permits them to call up armies, attach electrodes to living flesh, justify the invention, testing, and stockpiling of world-destroying weapons; it also permits them to “kneecap” informers with electric drills, purge “incorrect” colleagues by literal crucifixion, and eventually to consider the political reasons for doing these things as secondary or irrelevant, the mere doing them as creative acts. Such men suffer from a lack of ambivalence. " Lack of ambivalence permits V to torture Evey "for her own good."

So, I liked the movie, appreciate the message that sometimes old symbols need to be destroyed, especially when fascists such as George Bush and Karl Rove use them to cloak their evil in order to pretend that they are for "freedom" and "democracy," when precisely the opposite is true. I enjoyed the special effects, Portman's sexy shaved head, and the film's appreciation for the role of the media in allowing religio-corporate fascists to gain control. I'm more than willing to believe that, at the very, very least, our government let September 11th happen on purpose.

But I'll take a pass on being tortured by my lover for my own good. And I'll take a pass on finding men who torture anyone so sexy that I long to kiss their Guy Fawkes' curved plastic lips.

Flame away.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm opposed to torture

V is supposed to be an ambigous figure (I think)

It shows how bad things have become that we side with the terrorist

Anonymous said...

k&y --

Top shelf. Amid Moore's complaints about reckless, oversimplifying changes, you have found a problem with the original. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is positively stupid in its treatment of sex (in a hypermasculine post-IX/XI fit, a traitor is punished by being raped to death, and then a joke is made of his gore). We love Moore but have long had problems with his female characters. How canny is it that even a brilliant comic book creator has issues with the babes? In our indolent dusks long kicked around an adaptation of Watchmen totally faithful except in making the young female character a castrating bitch punk in boots, jeans, white t-shirt and leather jacket, with the one "superhero" sort of costume element being a kind of thong worn outside and lined with these steel teeth, so that in grinding into men's crotches and faces... We are certain it makes more sense if you read Watchmen.
Have you read Dancers at the End of Time? For all Moorcock's unforgivable attempts to salvage Dworkin, the Fireclown climaxes in a perfect example of why censorship doesn't work and how censorship advocates like racists make themselves immeasurably stupider for their conviction, however brilliant they were before.

(And implement the little antispam verification box of nonesense letters you barbarianess!)

ntodd said...

V wasn't really a hero. He had a dark soul, was violent, and coincidentally was right about needing to overthrow an even darker regime. Maybe it's just my filters as a non-violent kinda guy, but I found the torture stuff absolutely necessary as part of V's warped character and sense of right and wrong.

Anonymous said...

Hecate,

I am going to do this anonymously but it is DWD. Seeing that movie both brought tears and anger. Tears for my country and the pitiful fools who "go along" with every lie no matter how preposterous.

My anger was reserved for the stupidity of the glitch you mentioned. Hell, it depressed me all last Saturday night if you remember correctly. I don't care if it is a comic book or graphic novel or whatever: it is simply not within reason to have a character use torture as a means to strengthen a character.

IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

Rather than exploiting her with visions of some idyllic perfection, the character should have reasoned and illustrated. Torturing for truth is no better than torturing for a lie.

ntodd said...

No one is saying it was a nice thing to do.

Bingo.

Dirk Gently said...

well, i sort of agree with hecate and sort of agree with ntodd.

v was a sociopath. i don't think there is anything to admire about the torture business, nor the initial imprisonment. a decent human being would have let evey make that decision herself. he controlled and manipulated her from the very beginning.

the trailers made me think that evey was a more active and willing co-conspirator. she wasn't. she was trapped, caught up in v's vision by ciscumstances and her own past. and to me her acceptance was more a matter of being infected than of understanding.

so none of that really "upset" me, it was just part of the story.

the part that upset me was valerie's story (it was valerie, right?), because it was far to close to today's reality.

Anonymous said...

I saw the film a couple of weeks ago. It was not my first choice of films, but I went with my husband to see it. He really wanted to see the special affects and he knew a bit about the story plot. I felt that there was a parallel to what is happening in our society today. Not as drastic here, but if some of the current trends continue I could possibly see in the future that this could happen. A week or so before I saw this film there was a protest in front of the Justice Department in DC in regards to the prisoners in Guantanamo prison in Cuba. I wonder how much torture we have done to these guys. It has all been kept secret. I also could see that if there were some controls on the current regime in this country that we could possibly end up in a similar situation. What if we are a protestor or an activist could we end up in jail and never be heard from again. This story line really hit home with me. Made me think even more about the George Orwell's 1984 and this current spying situation that Bush has been caught in. I wonder whose list I am on. Lavandermoon