CURRENT MOON

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Nice, But Not the Point


The BBC is reporting that "Foetuses cannot feel pain because it requires mental development that only occurs outside the womb, says a report in the British Medical Journal.". It reminds me of the question someone asked about lobsters: do they feel pain when thrown alive into boiling water? Someone answered that they feel all the pain that a lobster can feel. I've got no idea what human foetuses can or can't feel. It's an irrelevant question. No one, and that includes the most adorable, sensitive foetus ever, has a rigth to keep living inside my body unless I want it to live inside my body. I'd hope than an abortion wouldn't cause it pain. But that's an irrelevant question.

The doctor doing the research seems to agree with me. BBC reports that, "Avoiding a discussion of foetal pain with women requesting abortions is not misguided paternalism but a sound policy based on good evidence that foetuses cannot experience pain."

And he said giving foetuses painkilling drugs - which would have to be given through the placenta - involved procedures which may expose the woman to unnecessary risks and distress."

Look, I have a grandson who's less than two months old. i adore babies. I show up at my son and daughter-in-law's house just to hold my grandson, sing to him, and smell him even while he sleeps. But until he was born, it was completely up to my daughter-in-law whether or not to continue to carry him. if she'd wanted an abortion, I'd have supported her 100%. I wish wingnuts could get this through their heads.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely. Thanks for saying this.

(and I LOVE smelling my g'kids - well, and everyone else I love. I just breathe in deep, sweet draughts of them all whever I can, including the critters who so kindly share my life)

:-)

Anne Johnson said...

We at "The Gods Are Bored" oppose abortion. But why the heck would we want to tell other people what they should be doing? It's none of our business.

We also oppose pulling up baby trees, because baby trees have a Right to Life. Try explaining that to neighbors with groomed lawns.

Anonymous said...

hey