CURRENT MOON

Monday, August 21, 2006

Subjects To Be Communed With, Not Objects To Be Exploited


Derrick Jensen in A Language Older Than Words

"I could not have learned to listen to coyotes without having first learned to listen to my unwillingness to sell my hours, then to listen to the signals of my body, then to listen to the disease that has made my insides its home, and thus become a part of me. And I could not have learned to listen to coyotes without having talked to other people courageous enough to validate my perception of an animate world. I talked to the writer Christoper Manes, who said, 'For most cultures through history--including our own in preliterate times--the entire world used to speak. Anthropologists call this animism, the most pervasive worldview in human history. Animistic cultures listen to the natural world. For them, birds have something to say. So do worms, wolves, and waterfalls.' Later the philosopher Thomas Berry told me, 'The universe is composed of subjects to be communed with, not objects to be exploited. Everything has its own voice. Thunder and lightning and stars and planets, flowers, birds, animals, trees--all these have voices, and they constitute a community of existence that is profoundly related.'"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good post

mestizo

Woody (Tokin Librul/Rogue Scholar/ Helluvafella!) said...

'animism' is the profoundest kind of 'materialism'...

which is why it attracts me so compellingly...