CURRENT MOON

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Pan's Labyrinth


The Wild Hunt links to a review in The Guardian of Pan's Labyrinth.

'Pan's Labyrinth is a movie about a girl who gives birth to herself into the world she believes in,' del Toro continues. '

Now this is a movie that I want to see, even if del Toro ended his sentence with a preposition.

The review quotes del Toro as saying that, A maze is a place where you get lost. But a labyrinth is essentially a place of transit, an ethical, moral transit to one inevitable centre.

That's an interesting way of thinking about the difference between the two; for some reason, I've always liked mazes better than labyrinths. But several friends have convinced me to try labyrinth-walking over the past few years, and I see what del Toro is saying about a labyrinth as a place of transit, although what you find at the center can vary from one walk to the next and may be less inevitable than del Toro says.

The Wild Hunt also reports that: author Stephen King has made [Pan's Labyrinth] his number one movie pick of the year.

"I happened to see this in July and was completely seduced by its beauty and emotional ferocity. Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Mimic, Blade II) directed, and to call this his best work isn't enough. I think this extraordinary R-rated fairy tale for adults is the best fantasy film since The Wizard of Oz. And while it's much darker than Wizard, it still celebrates the human spirit.


I am so there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah! I saw the trailer for this a couple of months back...totally slipped my brain. I have now alerted my friends! :) We can't wait!
Thanks and many blessings!
Elspeth Ravenwind

Anonymous said...

anyone else bogged down in S. Kings latest, ' Lisa's story'? I swear he used to write rockandroll, the energy bouncing off the page,, now,,, age,
infirmiry?

Anonymous said...

Hecate, I hate to tell you, but the stricture on ending sentences in a preposition (and the one on splitting infinitives) is another holdover of the Christian religion. No, seriously - think what language was primary in all education until about 100 years ago. Latin, right? And in Latin, you can't end a sentence in a preposition, or split an infinitive. When those rules were dogmatically applied (usually with a ruler across the knuckles) by the 'uneducated' who thought grammar rules were identical across languages, that's what we ended up with. (Hey, 2 prepositions at the end - I wonder what the record is!)

Free yourselves from benighted ignorance - strike a blow against religious bigotry! Split those infinitives! End with those prepositions! Speak your own language the way Jesus did!

Anonymous said...

As a school teacher confronted with ebonics every day, having its own grammar and composition, I couldn't agree more with. To honestly be frank, no one notices split infinitives anymore.

I'm really looking forward to Pan's Labyrinth, although R rated movies generally frighten me.

Anonymous said...

what do u mean about a girl giving birth to herself? this movie is confusing but cool! 2 bad its rated R

Anonymous said...

i hate it when people rant. just shut the fuck up about jesus and enjoy the fucking film. CUNT!

rosy123 said...


J’ai de plus en plus besoin de me rendre sur ton site. en fait pas un jour ne passe sans que j'admire ce blog supĂ©rieur

voyance en ligne discount