CURRENT MOON

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Goddess Weeping


On the one hand, I find that the WaPo's "On Faith" section has a pretty high squick factor and I kind of feel weird about Starhawk giving it legitimate Pagan cred. (Yeah, well, bite me. I kind of liked being a hidden religion, even though I know: things change.) On the other hand, it's the only way that many xians and other Abrahamists will ever hear from a "real" Pagan, rather than hearing from their minister "about" Pagans.

Today, I think she does a good job answering the latest (stupid) question: Is the war in Iraq a "just war"?

The whole thing is good, but here's the money quote: Religion should not be a set of earplugs to deafen us to the cries of children, nor a sedative to ease our consciences as we survey the graves. Religion should challenge us to be more than we are, to deeper levels of compassion and love than we have yet reached. The Goddess, the deep interconnectedness of all being, does not cheer on one team to kill and maim another. She is weeping.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hecate, your WaPo link is broken; it needs an 'h' prepended in the href. Thanks.

Medusa said...

Since reading this post sent me to "About Faith" a few hours ago, I thought I'd comment here that today's (Jan. 18) question (with panel responses) on WoPo's "About Faith" is "Have women fared well or badly in the world's religions down through the ages?" The first panelist's view is "women yes, goddess, no." A shortcut to that response is http://tinyurl.com/2vgdrn
Link to the entire article and all responses: http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/2007/01/women_and_religion_/all.html
Alas, no response from Starhawk.

Medusa said...

It's 2 days later...I see they have now added a panelist comment from Starhawk,"Women and Goddess." Magickly (?), it's dated Jan. 16.

Anonymous said...

Starhawk is a very fine educated person, but she is wiccan. I worship Hecate and she is a witch and never was wiccan drummed up by Gardner, lots of facts to back this up. I am pagan and a witch.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, correction. Goddess Hecate is the Goddess of the Witches, but still not wiccan.