CURRENT MOON

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Saturday Goddess Blogging


You can find quizzes all over the internet, and books, as well, to help you to locate the "Goddess type" with which you most closely identify. You will, perhaps, be unamazed to learn that I identify strongly with Athena, the Goddess of Politics. Long before I realized that there was such a thing as a modern Goddess religion, I'd loved Athena. The city of Athens, of course, takes it's name from her. She wears armour and an owl perches on her shoulder. One of the most cherished gifts of my life is an owl hand cooler, made of Steuben glass, a gift from Son and D-i-L. For me, it represents the wisdom of Athena.

Athena gets a bum rap in some feminist circles. The patriarchs tried to say that she sprung, sword-in-hand from the forehead of Zeus, motherless, and unconnected to any woman. That she supported men against women. That she used her political acumen to benefit the patriarchy. They lied, trying to absorb Athena and her power into their world view.

In truth, Athena beckons women to the world of politics. She calls to Nancy Pelosi, a father's daughter for sure, and to Hillary Clinton, to Media Benjamin, to Ariana Huffington, to Shakespeare's Sister, and to Twisty, to the Mad Melancholic Feminista, to Echinde, and, of course, to Athenae; calls to them to enter the fray, to join the rumble. To strategize, to bestow blessings upon their favorites.

Where can Athena help you? What part of your life would benefit from Athena energy? Is there some part of you that has been dancing, dancing, dancing for centuries on the steps of the Parthenon, on the steps of Pallas Athena?

Come, dance. Come dance the dance of politics, which long, long ago your mother Athena declared to be a dance in which you could excel, a dance in which you belonged.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The owls leave me confused. I used to know a Kiowa woman, daughter of a chief, and she was freaked out by owls, they were like the worst kind of bad message, or messenger. When I helped her move into the house on the street behind my house there was an owl statue on a fence post and she absolutely blanched when she saw it. I tried to reassure her, taking the owl down and carrying it upside down to be disposed of.

So I just don't know about the owl thing. I think I'll steer clear of owls, even though some traditions cherish them, others find them ominous at best.

Nuncamas

Anonymous said...

That particular Athena whose picture you post resides just about 90 miles due east of me. I'm still a little vague on just why Nashville TN felt they had to have an exact copy of the Parthenon, but then again any excuse to replicate a monumental Goddess is a good one.

Never been there myself but saw a show on architecture that featured the place one time. The itty bitty owl in Athena's upturned right hand is taller than your average man. Now THAT'S a monument, dammit. :)

--btw google/blogger is still refusing to acknowledge the password I've had for like five years now. Bad google/blogger making me sign in as a common Anon.

Xan

Anonymous said...

Actually, Xan, it's a 6 foot tall statue of Nike (Victory), but, yeah, that thing's huge! Though I feel I must chide you for never visiting it while living that close. Get yourself over there! :)

I love love love Athena. All those stories of Her working for Zeus and taking Her Daddy's side every time are just propaganda, a patriarchal gloss painted over Her. She is in fact pre-Greek and far older than Zeus; my suspicion is that She is a direct descendant of the Minoan Snake Goddess (snakes and birds being very much Her thing). She can do anything. Literally, anything. And She's one of the few female tricksters around; if you don't believe me go read the Odyssey, where She's forever shifting shape and lying to various people to manipulate situations and help Her chosen heroes.
I see my Blodeuwedd art made it here last week; I've been on an Athena kick lately and have plans to paint about a million varieties of Her; here's the couple I've got finished so far, Athena as storm Goddess, and Athena Glaukopis, the Owl-Eyed Girl. (Hope it's okay to post the links.)

Anne Johnson said...

Sorry, too doggone Sctos-Irish to celebrate any politics. It's in my blood.

Bhuidhe said...

Hello Hecate, I came across your blog quite by chance and got reading.
Would you mind if I link it to mine? Most of the people who read mine stick to the Italian bit, but I usually do everything in English too since that IS my mother tongue!
Hey I'm Scottish and I love politics, just wrote about the elections in Scotland.
All the best, Jane