CURRENT MOON

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Nancy Drew: Girl Detective




I don't know about you, but I remember my first Nancy Drew mystery as if it were yesterday. I was seven. My best friend, Bonnie Ayers, and I were playing in her big sister's bedroom and I pulled The Mystery at Lilac Inn off the shelf and started reading. A half an hour later, I came up for air, went home, and made my mom drive me to the library.

This movie may be cute as all get out, but it's not about Nancy Drew. Nancy Drew was old enough to drive a "roadster". She had a tomboy friend named George. She gave instructions to the Drews' housekeeper. She was independent and smart and brave and someone I'd have died to become when I was seven.

I've read a lot of books since that afternoon in Bonnie's big sister's bedroom. I'm not sure that any of them have reached out and grabbed me and transported me as effectively. I'll probably skip this movie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife is from Toledo and Millie Benson who wrote many of the Nancy Drew mysteries lived in my Mother-in-Laws neighborhood.

If you are interested, there is a great book about her: "Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her" by Melanie Rehak. She was a really incredible woman.

Caroline Tully said...

Hi Hecate, I used to read Nancy Drew as well. Its funny to suddenly remember her whilst looking at your blog. I haven't thought about her for a long time!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Hecate!

I still have my Nancy Drew collection from when I was a child.
I'm actually only missing 5 of the books to complete out my collection of hardcovers. Once I have them all I plan on reading them again from the beginning.
In looking back I always admired her. Strong, independant, had a mind of her own, pretty with a cool convertable and neat friends that were always ready for the next adventure.
I won't see this movie but I'm glad they are keeping her alive for the young ones.