CURRENT MOON

Monday, January 26, 2009

Baba Yaga


Susun Weed has a great story about Baba Yaga and knitting and winter and cooperation and creativity and compost and what happens when we give back to the Earth.

When the snow begins to fall under tonight's Dark Moon, here on the banks of the frozen Potomac River, I will remember Baba Yaga, I will think of the hats and mittens and scarves and sweaters that I've knitted for Son, and G/Son, and G/Nephew, and I will dream each of them warm and safe and secure.

Baba Yaga is special to me and she's one of the Goddesses that I often invoke when I sit at my altar. To me, she's always seemed oddly modern, a tanned old woman with strong muscles, some gold jewelry, and the ability to look chic with her headscarf tied behind her neck, a la Jackie O. (Look. You relate to Baba Yaga your way and I'll relate to Baba Yaga my way. H'ok, bubbla?)

At least once a month, a make I recipe from Susun Weed's book on breast cancer prevention.

Soak some seaweed in water.

Saute some cabbage and onions and grated carrots in olive oil.

Chop up and add the seaweed. Add the water in which you soaked the seaweed.

Add a bit of tamari sauce.

If you liked, here's where you could add some tofu, or chicken, or shrimp, or fish.

Sprinkle w sunflower seeds.


Even if you think that you hate cabbage or seaweed, you'll like this.

Picture of Baba Yaga found here.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Baba Yaga is very powerful to me as well. Years ago in meditation she lead me to her cauldron of transformation and I broke free of my self-imposed chains. That ritual remains deep inside me...I can say that it changed me forever. I was sick for days afterward as if she was also cleansing my physical body. I would never invoke her lightly...she is a true transformer.
Blessings to you for Imbolc.