CURRENT MOON

Friday, January 22, 2010

Ladies, Lots Of Luck.


Interesting article in the WaPo about the strict punishments Rome is handing out to women who dare to question their second-class status in the catholic church.

Shortly after being punished, she attended Mass at her local parish with her sister and mother. She was forbidden to take Communion, but her mother and sister decided to share their hosts with her. Other parishioners dropped pieces of their hosts into her hands. By the ritual's end, her hands were full.

And, you know, fuck that priest. How fucking dare he reduce that woman to standing there with empty hands, filled up with crumbs from others?

Interesting that the WaPo capitalizes "Communion" isn't it? I'm certain that "Cakes and Ale" would get the same treatment. No, I'm not.

Picture found here.

4 comments:

Makarios said...

"Fuck that priest" is exactly what the parishioners were saying when they shared Communion with Sr. Louise. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on. What a magnificent rebuke to the priest, and to the whole Y-chromosome hierarchy. And what a magnificent gesture of support for their sister. It's almost enough to give one hope.

Lyon said...

All I can say is: WTF?

I know. I'm so eloquent at 6:40 am.

Makarios I think said it for me. But agreed, fuck that priest right in the ear. There are some things that I just will never, ever be able to understand and I really don't want to.

Hecate said...

Yes, it was nice of the other parishioners to give her their crumbs. I'm not sure that I understand, having walked myself, why women choose to stay and take the abuse. I wish them all the luck in the world in their efforts to wreak change, but I can't say that I'm optimistic for them. Walking away, taking your collection plate money, volunteer efforts, and spiritual energy away from the patriarchy, seems, IMHO, more effective and life-affirming. That's ust me.

Anonymous said...

why do people put up with that kind of shit, hell the church makes everything up as they go, get out and start your own , you can make it up as you go just like them! they stay thinking they can change them, it would not be the same church, so why bother, being ass wipes is what they do and is what makes them 'the church'authority.sorry for being blunt , but it is true. It just makes me wonder about people who stay and put up with abuse, it is not likely it will make you any more holier by staying.