CURRENT MOON

Thursday, June 24, 2010

In Love


Real magick is not merely an assortment of skills and techniques. It's more like an open minded attitude, a blend of interest and dedication, which allows each honest mage to observe, to learn, to adapt, and to invent unique new ways of changing identity and reality from within. Are you willing to learn from yourself?

The actual job of seeing a tree spirit is both simple and difficult. Speaking with the tree is sound practice, as it will amplify your experience and bring you closer in touch with it. Perhaps the tree spirit won't understand your words. It is certain to understand your mood and attitude. A feeling of genuine sympathy is the best possible link. In a sense this rite is as much an act of love as all evocation is: one comes to communicate with an aspect of the universe [of which] one was previously unconscious, and this act of communication is an act of union.


~Jan Fries in Visual Magick

The more that I focus on being "the witch of this place," the bigger the part of my practice devoted to grounding, to entwining my roots with all the roots that fill up the space just beneath the surface of my land. How does your own landbase influence your magic? If not, why not?

Picture found here.

2 comments:

Vivienne Grainger said...

Loved the picture.

Your posts, and those of a few others (notably Gordon's Rune Soup) have helped me to move past a very stuck place in my own practice. I know now that I am in the wrong place, and am working to address that.

Another issue is that, never quite realizing I had done so, I had shaped my entire life around others' reactions, not to my own needs. Your posts, frequently your passionate outrage at what is so patently wrong [as in "BP executives' refusal to tell the truth about what has happened in the Gulf"), have been a part of that realization for me.

I've still some work left to do on unsticking. But thank you for being a part of my Work as you perform your own.

Hecate said...

Wow, Vivienne, thank you so much! Blogging iz weird; some days, you think you're just writing out into a void and it's all silly self-indulgence. Then a comment like yours comes along and makes it all worthwhile. IMHO, spiritual practice is more like a spiral than a straight line. Some times, things hum along, then, at other times we're stuck or are going back over old material. The important thing, I think, is to keep doing it. The point of the journey is the journey. Thank you again for your kind words!