CURRENT MOON

Thursday, October 07, 2010

Pagan Chic


Sarah Burton, the former assistant to Alexander McQueen, enjoyed a rapturous reception at Paris Fashion Week yesterday for her first collection as the new creative director of the Alexander McQueen label.

The British label's spring/summer 2011 collection struck a pagan [can I get a capital "P" please?] chord, with outfits recalling the 1970s film The Wicker Man. One dress combined a bodice made of ears of wheat with a skirt made of pheasant feathers. Another printed dress was adorned with a horse hair collar.

Burton's theme went even more prelapsarian [I do not think that word means what the author thinks it means] with a dress consisting of fake butterflies, which appeared to be taking off around the model's neckline. Another outfit saw golden plants sewn onto skin coloured material which appeared to grow on the model's body. The skirt of this dress was rounded at the hips a nod to McQueen and the model's hair was braided in the style of wicker.

Fashion editors were impressed by Burton's success in building a collection that was true to the spirit of McQueen, keeping the dramatic silhouettes for which he was famous, but introducing a more feminine, romantic mood.


I like it. But not everyone did.

And, speaking of the Wicker Man . . . .

Picrture and the article found here.

2 comments:

Lavanah said...

I would definitely wear these dresses (and I didn't always feel that way about McQueens designs). I would just need someone to plait my hair for me-a headband or a hairclip is about as complicated as I've ever gotten.

voyance par mail said...

“I was looking for this information in search engines and thank god I got this information here. Thanks a lot”