CURRENT MOON

Friday, February 24, 2006

Sacred Spaces in the Modern World -- Second in a Continuing Series

I’ve blogged before about the need for Sacred Space and, in particular, the need to find Sacred Spaces in urban areas, which is where most modern Pagans live. My friend Renee, aka the Greatest Cook in the Entire Universe, and my incredibly creative friend Kathy have introduced me to a form of Sacred Space that is springing up throughout urban areas -- the labyrinth.

Labyrinths have become popular again, after falling into obscurity for hundreds of years. Interestingly, they appeal to both Xians and Pagans, although many, but not all, of the labyrinths I’ve seen are in Xian churches (well, to be fair, Xians tend to have churches, while Pagans -- not so much). Renee tends a labyrinth at the local UU church. Our circle has walked an outdoor labyrinth at a Protestant church in Bethesda. The National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. has a monthly labyrinth walk that I keep meaning to get to. Kathy showed me a charming outdoor labyrinth hidden in a garden behind the local HIV/AIDS clinic; it’s there for patients and their families to walk.

What is it about labyrinths that creates Sacred Space? They provide a place for meditative walking. They require enough attention (at least for my deficient right brain!) that the monkey mind shuts down. They remind the participant that the way in and the way out are often the same and that twists and turns are part of the journey. But, like all Sacred Spaces, there’s something undefinable that makes labyrinths sacred space.

Labyrinths are great for urban areas as they can fit into a small area -- either inside or outside (or even online!). The ones at the National Cathedral and the local UU church are painted on canvas and can be rolled up and put away.

Have you ever walked a labyrinth? Would you?

5 comments:

Vicki said...

I like the idea of labyrinths. My dad bought me one when I was a child (a toy wherein you had to move a steel ball through a maze).

You're correct: The concentration helps to shut the monkey mind down.

Can't tell you enough how much I love what you're writing.

Keep up the beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

There's a corn labyrinth out in MD on the way to St. Mary's, a corn
ma(i)ze. I haven't walked it tho I got to the gate a couple years back only to find it was closed Mondays.

Ruth

Anonymous said...

There's a lovely labyrinth in a field belonging to a healing center in Mt. Airy, MD.

I have wondered if the small, hand-held labyrinths, some beautifully crafted, provide the same meditative quality. Have you tried one of those?

Anonymous said...

I have walked many different labyrinths-the best was at a psychiatric hospital in England. There are wonderful "virtual" labyrinth sites on the internets, let your mouse do the walking...every community of any size has them and in my experience Episcopal/Anglicans seem to be on top of it. I need something to quiet the noises so movement is important.

Anonymous said...

Mostdearheart --

I came for the seed corn & stayed for the labyrinth!

Do please go to the National Cathedral walk -- remember that slow is the secret (& the cathedral is very much worth seeing)

The Cathedral in Kalamazoo has an outdoor labyrinth (HINT, Vickiwholovesalgorebutneverwritesme), but the building is to be sold if they can't come up with additional funding -- the "memorial garden" is to be saved -- dunno about the labyrinth -- walk it while you can!