CURRENT MOON

Friday, March 31, 2006

Recycling


A couple of people asked how to make pots to start seeds from newspapers. I use one of these. You cut a strip of newspaper, wind it around the round thing (yes, that's a scientific term), tuck it under, and then smush (another technical garden term) the round thing into the saucer-shaped thing. Voila, a small pot. Fill with dirt and add seed. I put the pots inside aluminum trays that I save from year to year and then water. When the seedling is ready to plant, you just plant it in the newspaper pot, which will disintegrate. It's cheaper than buying peat pots every year.

3 comments:

Sandy-LA 90034 said...

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog. You've been posting about lots of interesting, varied subjects and I enjoy your particular slant on things.

Anonymous said...

I looked at the fancy wooden pot-formers in the catalogs, went to my kitchen cabinet, found a suitable glass. Didn't spend a cent. I rather suspect the glass originally held a ham spread.

You have reminded me that it's high time I made some pots and got some tomatoes started.

Ahianne

Anonymous said...

Hecate, I do the same thing forming them around old wine bottles with the indentation at the bottom and smaller ones for smaller plants. You've got to experiment with how many twists of newspaper to get one that holds the plant (put the pots together so they support each other, I cheat and use staples too)but not so thick that the roots won't break through.

Make sure your paper is printed with soy-based ink. You can usually find out by e-mailing them.