CURRENT MOON

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sunday Akhmatova Blogging


There Are Four of Us

Herewith I solemnly renounce my hoard
of earthly goods, whatever counts as chattel.
The genius and guardian angel of this place
has changed to an old tree-stump in the water.

Earth takes us in awhile as transient guests;
we live by habit, which we must unlearn.
On paths of air I seem to overhear
two friends, two voices, talking in their turn.

Did I say two? . . . There by the eastern wall,
where criss-cross shoots of brambles trail,
-- Oh look! -- that fresh dark elderberry branch
is like a letter from Marina in the mail.

~November 1961

I think of all the Akhmatova poems that I've blogged, this may be my favorite, so far. Four of them: Anna, the voices of her two old friends, and the elderberry branch.

No comments: