CURRENT MOON

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What Diane Sylvan Said


I also, and I admit this, like the word Witch. I agree with Laurie Cabot that it is a "delicious word." I am a Wiccan priestess, and I am a Witch. I feel that "Witch" describes one important aspect of what I do--the part of my practice that has me hanging herbal charms at my doors, adding consecrated oils to my cleaning products, and carving Runes in candles to bring new and beautiful things into my life. None of those things are intrinsic to Wicca as a religion, so I say I am a Witch to help describe what kind of Wiccan I am. That's my approach; as always, your mileage may vary.

I'll also say that I read Triumph of the Moon, just like everyone else, and, in response to the question: Did Uncle Gerald and Aunt Doreen invent something new or did they discover a tradition that goes back to my Neolithic grandmothers? I'll just say: Yes. That is what my cells tell me; they tell me "yes".

1 comment:

echidne said...

It wasn't new. I've heard enough from older sources to know that. But they may have put it together differently, like some collectors of folk songs do.