CURRENT MOON

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Hum


What is this dark hum among the roses?
The bees have gone simple, sipping,
that's all. What did you expect? Sophistication?
They're small creatures and they are
filling their bodies with sweetness, how could they not
moan in happiness? The little
worker bee lives, I have read, about three weeks.
Is that long? Long enough, I suppose, to understand
that life is a blessing. I have found them — haven't you? —
stopped in the very cups of the flowers, their wings
a little tattered — so much flying about, to the hive,
then out into the world, then back, and perhaps dancing,
should the task be to be a scout-sweet, dancing bee.
I think there isn't anything in this world I don't
admire. If there is, I don't know what it is. I
haven't met it yet. Nor expect to. The bee is small,
and since I wear glasses, so I can see the traffic and
read books, I have to
take them off and bend close to study and
understand what is happening. It's not hard, it's in fact
as instructive as anything I have ever studied. Plus, too,
it's love almost too fierce to endure, the bee
nuzzling like that into the blouse
of the rose. And the fragrance, and the honey, and of course
the sun, the purely pure sun, shining, all the while, over
all of us.

~Mary Oliver
************************************

I love Oliver's paean to bees and find it especially poignant now that the bees appear to be leaving us, disappearing, abandoning their hives in a horror called Colony Collapse Syndrome. It's as if all this time they paid the world the honor of being reluctant to leave it, but now they've just had all that they can take.

There's a Blue Moon on Thursday, May 31st, a powerful time to do magic. Several Pagan groups that I know of (including my own amazing circle of wonderful women)are planning to do magic for the bees around this upcoming Blue Moon. Join your magic to ours, will you? Join us because, as Oliver points out, "[I]t's love almost too fierce to endure, the bee/nuzzling like that into the blouse /of the rose."


Photo found here.

6 comments:

Anne Johnson said...

Will do. Will ask Grove to do same.

Hecate said...

Anne,

Thanks so much. You rock!

Jen said...

The wild bees and the bees being raised by organic bee-keepers are NOT disappearing. Only the commercially raised bee colonies which are being genetically modified to make them larger and have pesticides placed into their hives to kill parasites are 'mysteriously' dying. Most commercial bee-keepers are comparable to the large corporations that raise cattle for beef and feed them steroids. Please check this website: http://www.correntewire.com/organic_bees_not_dying

Aquila ka Hecate said...

We don't have a Blue Moon this month at this longitude (GMT +2)-it's next month that we get our two full moons.

So I'll regretfully pass on the magic this time.

Love,
Terri in JOburg

SolSionnach said...

As far as wild bees not being effected... I've been walking here in Central Texas (Austin, to be precise), and I find NO BEES on any of the flowering bushes as I walk. Earlier this spring I did find them, but (unless my walk was too late in the day) yesterday I did not see a single, solitary bee.

Scared me half to death.

I don't know how to do magick, but I will offer prayers for the bees on the 31st.

BeLoved.... said...

hello, i found my way to your blog through another blogger who said a prayer for the bees. wish i'd seen this earlier, but i have a prayer in my blog now. thank you for helping us remember them in our prayers.