CURRENT MOON

Saturday, August 07, 2010

Saturday Garden Blogging



When I moved to this cottage, it had two fig trees, an older one in the front and its younger sister in the side yard. The woman who lived here before me planted them, but never got a harvest from them. She married, had a family, and needed to move to a larger place. So I get the benefit of her planting. Trees are like that.

Every year, I make a bargain with the birds. I tell them, "The figs that I can't reach are for you. No fair taking a few bites out of all the ones that I can reach." I keep my part of the bargain, but I can't say that the birds are completely honorable concerning this arrangement.

This morning was almost Autumn-like, and I was out for several hours weeding the woodland garden and picking up magnolia leaves. (Has anyone ever successfully composted those leaves? They're like leather. Magnolias are originally swamp-growers and I guess those leaves might, in a few years, decompose in a swamp.) My reward was, here just a week out from Lughnasadah, to harvest this bowl full of figs. Good thing I have rosemary in the garden and bought goat cheese at the farmers' market!

Photo by the author. If you copy, please link back.

4 comments:

Teacats said...

Gorgeous harvest! Love the color of the figs .... really beautiful! How will you be serving the figs? (always makes me want to say "figgy pudding" LOL!) Here in hot, baked DFW -- we actually tried to clean up and clean out a bit of the garden -- still need lots of work but we'll have to recover for a day or so -- and then don our hats and gloves and do some more! With the heat index -- our temperatures hit 110! Right now -- roots, tops and plants are frying .... hoping for rain soon and hoping that our Dark Moon may send some along!

Jan at the hot baked Rosemary Cottage

Hecate said...

Teacats,

Hope you get rain! I just eat lots of the figs, but I also like to stuff them w some goat cheese, stick a rosemary branch through as a skewer, and grill them. Maybe drizzle a bit of honey on top.

Teacats said...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Fruits-and-Vegetables/Fruits/Figs/Main.aspx

Possible fig recipes ....

we do buy dates to serve with honey and soft cheese and Machengo (sp?) (Spanish) cheese ... lovely ....

Thanks for the rainy thoughts and hopes! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Teacats said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lBHYoI5V8s&playnext=1&videos=Xc69SNkO-wE

A video recipe (love this guy and his blog Foodwishes) for more grilled figs .....

Jan at Rosemary Cottage