CURRENT MOON

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Big Pharma


Look, this is what we're up against in every single branch of the government. The Bush Junta has allowed to corporatists to take over everything -- including determining how safe the medicine prescribed for cancer patients is.

I've been a cancer patient, injecting poison into my system every couple of hours, every day, for months. I don't know about you, but I'm less than amused to learn that big pharma is paying the people at NIH who are supposed to INDEPENDENTLY detemine how safe and effective drugs are.

If you've ever had cancer, or, I imagine, any serious illness, you know how confusing it can be. I remember, at my consultation with the third oncologist that my wonderful doctor sent me to see, getting the third piece of confusing advice that matched neither of the other two pieces of advice I'd gotten concerning chemotherapy, breaking down in tears and explaining to the doctor, "I'm a lawyer. It's not that I'm an idiot. It's just that this is not my field. I keep getting different advice and, if I make the wrong choice concerning things that I really don't understand, I'll die."

At least, back then in the Clinton era, I didn't worry that the drug company set to make big profits off of the drug was the one greenlighting its use by doctors.

Have I mentioned fucking hating this fucking coup?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are still with us.

Isabella di Pesto said...

In written comments for this article, Walsh said his advice to industry did not conflict with his position at the NIH's National Cancer Institute, or affect his scientific judgment.

"I am not and have never been a representative of, or advocate for, any pharmaceutical company," Walsh said.


Lying fuck.

Jesus! This enrages me. I, too, will have to make decisions on which cancer medication I'll have to take.

Money worshipping fucks. All of them.